Home Precious Metals
Options

New technique to extract gold from old electronics could make a fortune, scientists say

RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 6, 2024 8:23AM in Precious Metals
Collector of Classic US Coins

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

$33 from 10 old motherboards? Lot work for a little money

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall reading about this some years ago.

The problem is where are you gonna get the boards, basically for free?

The office product stores will let ya turn in your old computer for recycling, but they don't pay you any money for it. So only they would make any serious money off this.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

It is interesting. But it doesn't address how all the electronics and an entire computer can be sustainably recycled. Even if you can reasonably extract the valuable gold, there are so many other environmental issues which is likely why most electronics recycling is done in China, and a lot of that outside their own regulations. That is why Cadbury started marketing Cadmium Creme Eggs. :D

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont see a real payoff here, if they were making money with it it wouldnt be for sale (unless its a learning thing))

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't there technically a certain amount of gold in sea water?

Maybe extracting gold from the ocean might be more lucrative. 😉

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

They first liquidfied the boards (disolved)? How was that done? What acids or combo of acids. Does not make sense to me. If the gold is in suspension why not just precipitate it out? No need in whey or cheesy stuff. Just good old stump out from the local hardware store.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com