Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well, it's not a DAVID HALL flip, but it is interesting! Not sure who produced these.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know who produced a flip like this one??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that just pop up on ebay... I'm a little skeptical that it is someone's home-made "get rich quick" job.

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I'm old enough to not only remember, but also used a type writer. The font looks correct, varying dark and light characters associated with ink ribbon. Yet with today's technology in digital printing, anything is possible. Even if the seller could provide definitive proof of it's authenticity at that price it's a great big "I don't think so."

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some day, by using AI, we will be able to take this photo and the view of the finger print and run it through the system to find out who is holding the flip :)

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a sample slab.

When you buy an impulse sealer, there is space for a metal plate to be inserted that will leave lettering or a small graphic on the seal.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 6:25PM

I ponder:
    The flip looks PVC—a cloudy used pvc flip used by a coin of the same size is better bait.
    The label is from the same gear as a ticket printer? Good idea, perforated and all, smells vintage.
    Printed with modern software? That looks very databasy and has too many fake codes.
    NOS cardstock?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virtually all Hall flips have at least 1 edge with his name in the seal.
    MS64 is VERY rare in a Hall flip.
    Can't see a Kointainer with certainty, "always" used by Hall.
    Never have seen this perforated edges on a genuine flip.

I let the seller know but haven't heard back .......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ebeneezer said:
    I'm old enough to not only remember, but also used a type writer. The font looks correct, varying dark and light characters associated with ink ribbon. Yet with today's technology in digital printing, anything is possible. Even if the seller could provide definitive proof of it's authenticity at that price it's a great big "I don't think so."

What’s a typewriter ?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ebeneezer said:

The font is from a band printer, not a typewriter. Chances are these were made by a large retailer as inventory tags.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at the listing, the seal is just the heat resistant "fabric" of the standard impulse sealer.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Hall flip. Good copy!

Doug
  • Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

Someone in one of the coin groups I'm in on FB just shared a post asking about these flips with blue slips they picked up. They look just like the ones in the ebay auction shared by the OP. Hmmm...

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

Never have seen this perforated edges on a genuine flip.

Tim,
    Your example is not a Hall Flip, but for all of the scrutiny we've given Flips, I never thought about counting perforated edges. I need to double-check, but a quick look:

Gen 0: No perforated edges
    Gen 1: Examples with perforated edges on 2 and 3 sides, with the 4th "straight side" being the insert fold-over edge
    Gen 2: Examples wtih perforated edges on 1, 2 and 3 sides, with the 4th "straight side" being the insert fold-over edge
    Gen 3: Perforated edges on all 4 sides
    Gen 4: Perforated edges on all 4 sides
    Gen 5: Perforated edges on all 4 sides

I need to look into Gen 1 & Gen 2 a bit more. Perhaps the perforated edge count may be worth including in the next revision.

Gen2:

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Those are stunning!
    :o

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember these also back in the mid 1980’s. I thought they were copy cats of the David Hall dealer flips. I was dealing with my newborn twin girls in 1985 so I was not much of a buyer at that time financially and time-wise.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file