Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price premiums on "plus" graded coins

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do collectors see the price premiums on "plus" graded coins?

One example: this cac graded coin in a gem grade. I looked up on their site how many had been given a plus at that grade, there are not many at this point which may be due to the relatively recent inauguration of their grading service.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Closer to the lower grade than the higher grade price.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 6:25AM

I’m curious what kind of money the CACG 58+ coins are bringing, relative to the PCGS price guide, or the Greysheet.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's fairly easy to see what CAC 65's typically sell for. And in the case of common date Morgan's, the plus grade doesn't add much value. Additionally, for a larger data base, you can check other common dates in that grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    It's fairly easy to see what CAC 65's typically sell for. And in the case of common date Morgan's, the plus grade doesn't add much value. Additionally, for a larger data base, you can check other common dates in that grade.

I went on Coinfacts and they are only referencing PCGS and NGC results at this point: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1882-s-1/7140

Has Heritage seen many coins in the new cac slabs in their auctions? What is the general reaction to them among your colleagues?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@MFeld said:

I went on Coinfacts and they are only referencing PCGS and NGC results at this point: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1882-s-1/7140

Has Heritage seen many coins in the new cac slabs in their auctions? What is the general reaction to them among your colleagues?

You can find results for CAC and CACG coins by looking through auction archives.

Thus far, we haven't had a lot of CACG coins in our sales.
    Our January FUN sale (typically one of our largest sales each year) included more than 600 CAC coins, but only a dozen CACG examples.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 10:41PM

I usually take a look at the the pct higher factor (Calc) per coin facts if need to.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file