Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first try at the crack out game!!

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need a little numismatic excitement in my life so I found a candidate for the crack out game. Our contestant is this lovely 1958 Washington quarter. Beautifully toned it certainly seems worthy of at least its ANACS soapbox grade of MS67. PCGS has graded 452 in MS67, 49 in MS67+ and zero in MS68.
In MS67 it is a $50 coin. In 67+ it is a $500 coin. I imagine in 68 it would be a $5000 coin. I am into the coin for $89.50. I have never cracked a coin out but I figure the worst I can do is be out $100 when all is said and done. Certainly worth it for the entertainment value.
I would appreciate some feedback on the coin itself and any stories of crack out success or fails.

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

How exactly are you planning on breaking it out?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very low cost education tuition. Good luck!

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know how it turns out.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

So you will end up being out $100, not life or death

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 11:00PM

There is no free ride in numismatics.

Looks like it needs a dip. It’s an ugly tarnished coin.

Frankly looks like went bad in the holder.

Your blowing in the wind.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert on the series but I honestly don't see a MS68 there... not even sure I see a MS67 through all the tarnish. Pictures do deceive though so I do wish you luck.

Mark

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

ms-66 at best

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see an upgrade or even the same grade from your photos, maybe in hand its a blazer but I think you will just be spending money for nothing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The white balance of your images is off, but I don't see a winner here (for you). Of course, I see a winner for the TPG you submit to since they collect grading fees regardless of our motivation for submitting coins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to you.
    It is difficult to see if the coin has luster and I think for the cross 67 (let alone +) you will need it to be strong.

peacockcoins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

That toning is ugly and a quick dip will greatly enhance the appearance of that coin. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    So you will end up being out $100, not life or death

Unless you lost it on a VB

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't have anything raw that's nice?
    Do as you please buy those soapbox holders are nice to have.
    Who would I be to tell you to do anything different.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd let PCGS make the determination on grade with a crossover. Expect no holder bias with them on this coin.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

my last 3 ANACS soapbox Washington quarters that I broke out and sent in raw to PCGS

64->65
    66->67
    67->66

the darker spots on Washingtons' neck and field in front of nose might keep yours from higher

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh. The forum wind is blowing in the wrong direction…. Make them eat crow!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin, your time and money. Do as you wish, but remember you asked for opinions, so don't be upset with the answers.
    I would be more afraid of losing the nifty holder than a downgrade. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't try with that particular coin. Some may like the toning but I find it distracting and more difficult to grade the coin from the images. Besides, I think soapbox ANACS holders are getting collectible in and of themselves... Instead of cracking out that coin... is there a different coin in your collection that's already raw that you could submit?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    PCGS has graded 452 in MS67, 49 in MS67+ and zero in MS68.
    In MS67 it is a $50 coin. In 67+ it is a $500 coin. I imagine in 68 it would be a $5000 coin.

You neglected to mention the 2,270 pop in 66, where it’s a $30 coin. That’s the most likely outcome of this experiment, which you now must definitely do since you got us all interested in the result :)

The ‘58 often comes with beautiful color and the one I own (MS66) has my favorite reverse of all the ones in my set.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 4:35PM

I have a 1958-P in PCGS MS67 CAC but I don't have a photo of it handy. I also have a 1958-D in MS67 but it didn't sticker :'( 1958 is my birth year. Both of mine are BLAST WHITE.....

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I do not see it crossing at 67. From the picture, the coin does not have the "POP" or eye appeal to make it. This was said a lot on the boards: "Buy the coin and not the holder!" Did you buy this coin because it was an old ANACS holder and thought it might be undergraded? Prove me wrong and make the first 68!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've cracked a couple of small holder ANACS MS67 Washingtons and both came back 66. The only 67 I've made is a 34 Washington that had a 65/67 photo cert.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file