Home Sports Talk
Options

If you were a MLB pitcher

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

And had to plunk one player in history, who would get the inside heat, and why?

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 6:26PM

Albert Bell for hit sticking Vina on a double play. Wasnt really entirely Bells fault but he did light him up.

Someone has to do something to make you want to throw at someone

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Albert Bell for hit sticking Vina on a double play. Wasnt really entirely Bells fault but he did light him up.

I remember that. That was a nasty collision.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eddie Gaedel

I'm gonna end-up walking the little bastige anyway, so might as well have some fun doing it.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 6:59PM

@Basebal21 said:

Are you kidding me? I loved that - Shrimp was jawing all game at Albert - but you Non Cleveland fans won't acknowledge that!
    And PS: Baseball21 - spell Wasn't right so you don't look like an imbecile.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

Is that even a sentence?

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Are you kidding me? I loved that - Shrimp was jawing all game at Albert - but you Non Cleveland fans won't acknowledge that!

Being a fan of neither team and not seeing that particular game just the replay I had no idea there was jawing from Vina leading up to this. The media seemed to portray it as big bad Albert. Thanks for that insight.

• Options

Yes - and you can believe the media - :D

• Options
    edited March 3, 2024 7:09PM

@LandrysFedora said:

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Being a fan of neither team and not seeing that particular game just the replay I had no idea there was jawing from Vina leading up to this. The media seemed to portray it as big bad Albert. Thanks for that insight.

Vina came into the running lane with the ball, but it doesnt change that Bell went overly aggressive to light him up. Bell absolutely tried to lay a hit on him and if it was the other way around the Cleveland fans would be complaining. Bell threw an elbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3fNK31HD4

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Yes - and you can believe the media - :D

Back then I actually did. Young and naive I guess. :D

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looked like Vina thought about drilling big Al in the back of the head as Al was departing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2024 4:54PM

This is what Belle said about the incident:

"I tell people, I say, 'Fernando Vina, he got up, dusted himself off, and acted like he was going to come after me and I'm like, bro, it's not going to look good me whooping up on you."

Here's the funny part of the whole story. Belle said he warned Vina about blocking the basepath earlier in the game. When almost the exact same play happened. Vina didn't listen to the warning which caused Belle to take exception and that's how we got the infamous clip that's still replayed today.

"And I told him earlier not to come in the baseline because it happened on Eddie Murray's at-bat a couple of innings before. Eddie Murray in the first at-bat, he hits a ground ball to him, [Vina] comes in the baseline and tags me and it caught me off guard and I was like, 'Oh, don't do that again.' Sure as s---, Eddie hits the same ground ball ... I thought he was going to pitch it and he came in and knocked him. I was l

• Options

Clemens with me wearing a Mike Piazza hat.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Referring to the Clemens bat toss?

• Options
    edited March 3, 2024 7:28PM

As a Braves fan I will go with Darin Erstad. His steamrolling of once promising catcher Johnny Estrada didn't end his career but he (Estrada) was never the same player after that play. For the life of me I cannot find an actual video of that play.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arod

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were a MLB pitcher ...

No I would not go head hunting as of right now….{Now on the Grid-Iron; There’s Not Enough Megabytes’ For My Typings}

If you were a MLB pitcher...

though I would want my catcher to be Carlton Fisk, so I could grab a dip from him....

as this would be like a Whiffle game on the south side during the late innings...I'd bring the Goose to start Pelting my guys at bat, then when Gossage got the hook and deepening on the score and lefty/righty Al Hrbosky would be warming up in the pen, as with Sparky Lyle to do another Job on the batters...then I would go with Horacio Pena, and or Kent Tekulve…

you guys here on the forum…hit me back if you want to play any Whiffle…though I’d need a few days notice so I can grease up my body with some icy hot like Gaylord Perry….

Um…hey Gridders’….Too Many Clues…. :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    If you were a MLB pitcher ...

No I would not go head hunting as of right now….{Now on the Grid-Iron; There’s Not Enough Megabytes’ For My Typings}

though I would want my catcher to be Carlton Fisk, so I could grab a dip from him....

as this would be like a Whiffle game on the south side during the late innings...I'd bring the Goose to start Pelting my guys at bat, then when Gossage got the hook and deepening on the score and lefty/righty Al Hrbosky would be warming up in the pen, as with Sparky Lyle to do another Job on the batters...then I would go with Horacio Pena, and or Kent Tekulve…

you guys here on the forum…hit me back if you want to play any Whiffle…though I’d need a few days notice so I can grease up my body with some icy hot like Gaylord Perry….

Um…hey Gridders’….Too Many Clues…. :)

That's a rare 1/1! :)

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

That's a rare 1/1! :)

I's go'ts to talk Fisk in the morning....and pick up a few cans....and then call my o:)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing Kirby Puckett get hit in the face, I would never throw a ball intending to hit another player.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I may be wrong but I didnt view the question as throwing at someones head. There are times where a fastball to the back are warranted like someone throwing an elbow to the face of one of your players

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    I may be wrong but I didnt view the question as throwing at someones head.

>
    >

Neither did I.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 9:34AM

For the record I wasn't saying I would want Arod hit in any vital area to injure him, I'd just prefer a 90 mile an hour fastball to hit him in the meaty part of his rear end.

Never wish injury on anyone

• Options

@perkdog said:
    For the record I wasn't saying I would want Arod hit in any vital area to injure him, I'd just prefer a 90 mile an hour fastball to hit him in the meaty part of his rear end.

Never wish injury on anyone

Exactly. Nothing to maim someone, just something to make them think twice before thinking of repeating whatever the offending action may have been.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am more partial to Rougned Odor payback.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

i honestly can't think of a single player to contribute to this discussion

but what this thread did do is bring to the forefront of my mind all of the mlb "fights" i've seen over the years. let's face it, many of them are embarrassing. guys acting like they are pissed, then when push comes to shove they are out there grabbing asses. like girls in middle school pulling hair in the cafeteria. if you're really going to get angry, if you're really going to stop the game, if you're really seeking retribution, then you better pull an Odor like Alfonz posted above. ☝️ that was legit. squared up on Bautista's jaw and hit the bullseye. and don't lie, every single one of you who witnessed it.............loved it deep down lolol.

what i'm surprised about is that bats haven't been used as weapons more often. if i was at the plate and saw my life flash before my eyes after a 100 mph asteroid narrowly missed my face -- and i came to the conclusion that it was an intentional act -- instinctively i'd probably make a beeline to the mound with my wooden friend

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Referring to the Clemens bat toss?

Mainly when he beaned Piazza.