Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's in your 7070?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an offshoot to the thread I started on whether or not you prefer grade or scarcity for a "type coin", unrelated to the purpose of that thread, I reviewed the coins in my 7070. I completed it more than 10 years ago and sometimes used it as an excuse to purchase more interesting coins for my collection.

My 7070 set includes:
1912-D 5c
1875-CC 20c
1839-O 50c (ex-Reiver)
1854-O 50c WA
1870-CC $1
1874-CC T$1 with chop mark

At one time, I even had a classic head $5 in the spot reserved the 2c piece and a classic head QE in the spot for the Legend seated dime.

Did you include better/semi-key/key dates or unusual substitutions in yours?

Comments

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite part was the extra page I had in the front with sleeves for twelve 2x2's where I kept HTT, Feuchtwanger cent, CWT, 51-O 3cs, early dime & no-stars dime, dos reales & early quarter, flowing hair half, US-Philippine peso, etc., but the plastic eventually split so that stuff unfortunately languishes in a 2x2 box now.

mirabela
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because my set is themed (incomplete planchets), it's a little harder to be clever about what coins are included, but I do have an 1851-O in the silver trime slot and an 1875-CC for the 20 cent piece. I also have an 1881 for the Morgan dollar instead of the much more commonly found 1921.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm lucky I could complete a modest 7070 set without rare or gold coins.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 7:08PM

Sadly my 7070 is not complete (still missing 3 coins for the regular pages and 5 gold coins). I do have a few proofs in place of the regular coins (war nickel, IHC, wheat cent, V nickel and mercury dime), I like proofs so why not add them. My set is only virtual though.

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

The best looking coin I'm willing to pay for to fill the slot. I don't care about dates in my 7070. I'd like to have at least Fair coins in the harder slots

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I managed to complete mine in mostly VF to AU coins... and a few MS for the easier pieces. I dont have any key dates or rare varieties but a few like my Capped Bust Quarter has a prominent die crack and my Shield Nickel has die tooling that looked cool...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 7:44PM

I’ve attempted the 7070 so many times that my current attempt is to complete the set with all fakes and copies. Only have a few so far

• Options
    edited March 3, 2024 7:48PM

@mcarney1173 said:
    I’ve attempted the 7070 so many times that my current attempt is to complete the set with all fakes and copies. Only have a few so far

You would be surprised how many different types of type sets people put together, fakes, holed coins, low ball, etc..

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started my 7070 as a kid, and as a result, many coins are modest circulated examples, below what I'd buy today. I'm ever so slowly continuing to add to it, but trying to keep the spirit of when I started. If I get a high(er)-end type coin, it will stay on its own for me to enjoy as a single coin. Nice circulated examples will continue to go into the album, though where in the past I may have allowed some problems, I'm trying to avoid those unless it's something really minor that saves me a good amount.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcarney1173 said:

Do you accept donations? I've got a doozy for you if you want it. PM if interested, lol

mirabela
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working on my 3rd 7070 and lack the Capped Bust Quarter and the two Liberty Seated Dollars and my last one will be done.
    Another thank you to @POCKETCHANGE for his wondrous giveaway that netted me an 1875 S Twenty Cent Piece to fill a most precious spot in my album, maybe the most precious. It has the same toning my last one had, but only a better grade coin. I have almost bought 5 or 6 in the last couple of years, but none ever struck me like this one has. Hope all that are within the 7070 collecting group enjoy theirs half as much as I have.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my Dansco 7070 Registry Set, I intentionally avoided key and rare dates, so that I can then afford higher grades.

The hotlink in my auto-signature below shows my “pride & joy”!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

No pictures right now, but my 7070 is a mix of some crack-outs (steel Lincoln), eBay purchases, and several from family collections. There are some proofs mostly because I like pre-1970 proofs, but the majority are circulated F-XF mostly.

imageimage

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 11:32AM

Nothing really major. Not the best pictures but you get the idea.

A slightly rotated die:

A 2000-P Speared Eagle:

I made my own last page for what I consider the modern types:

I added a W quarter:

• Options

Nice balance in the set. What are the two "oddballs"? They look like some cool coins.

imageimage

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 12:13PM

I thought I had posted these but it was probably in a different thread... and here's the link to my 7070 in case anyone is interested... https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1089350/my-completed-dansco-7070-type-set#latest

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GaCoinGuy said:

Nice balance in the set. What are the two "oddballs"? They look like some cool coins.

The Liberty Seated quarter and the Seated dollar.

peacockcoins

• Options
    PhilArnoldPhilArnold Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

@GaCoinGuy said:

One is a Hawaiian quarter. I've been to Hawaii a few times and wanted something to celebrate that. Besides, I there's perhaps too much Seated type in the 7070 album.

In the Seated Dollar slot is a copper 1876 Centennial medal (or So-Called Dollar in some circles) designed by Charles Barber. I know the date doesn't fit, but again there's just a lot of Seated type in this album and I wanted something different (and cheaper). There's a silver version as well.

Phil Arnold
    Director of Photography, GreatCollections
    greatcollections.com

• Options

@PhilArnold said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

One is a Hawaiian quarter. I've been to Hawaii a few times and wanted something to celebrate that. Besides, I there's perhaps too much Seated type in the 7070 album.

In the Seated Dollar slot is a copper 1876 Centennial medal (or So-Called Dollar in some circles) designed by Charles Barber. I know the date doesn't fit, but again there's just a lot of Seated type in this album and I wanted something different (and cheaper). There's a silver version as well.

Thanks! I agree with you that there is a lot of seated coins in this set. I like the idea of filling some slots with coins that mean something date-wise.

imageimage

• Options

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nearly have it filled all with ANACS photo certificate coins. I have a feeling I may go to my grave never finding a Barber half with a certificate.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing sold it in tact at Summer Fun last year............

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finished my 7070 Dansco sometime last year
    Always looking to improve it but it's fine the way it is
    See below

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file