Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Massapequa coin show NEWPs

anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited the annual spring coin show on March 2 on Long Island. It’s usually well attended with plenty of dealers and the Massapequa Coin Club does an excellent job putting it together. I was able to sell one duplicate coin and purchase the two silver dollars shown below. I welcome your comments and thank you for looking.

1928-S Peace dollar PCGS MS63: usually baggy and poorly struck, this lightly toned, lustrous coin is a little better struck at the center of both sides. Some bad marks are present, which seems to plague this issue. Higher grades are hard to come by with coins in MS65 pretty much cost prohibitive.

1879-CC Morgan dollar PCGS XF 45: sporting a rusted CC mint mark, this rather darker toned "Capped Die" variety is less common than the non-rusted version and more attractive in hand than the TrueView image that represents the coin.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

When I think of an MS63 peace dollar that is not what I expect. Nice pickups.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@David7 Thanks for the feedback. The Peace is quite lustrous and actually not as toned as the TrueView image indicates.

I think the hallmarks for obtaining an MS63 grade are vastly different between Morgans and Peace dollars. A Morgan with the same light chatter and reed marks as this Peace dollar might grade 64 or 64+ with the luster. That's not a criticism of either series or of grading in general, JMHO.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought 64 at first glance, great Peace piece.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it was a good show for you, and I also really like the Peace dollar.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Peace"full" is the 28-S. You did well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

Great looking Peace dollar and a nice pickup for the date.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file