Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Feel Good Story about an older collector...

BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I want to share a pretty cool little story...
Years ago, I was sharing some cards I had made here. One of those cards mentioned a free personalized T-shirt that I had advertised on the reverse reminiscent of the "FREE BALL CAP" that Red Man offered in the 1950's. Shockingly, one collector took me up on it. He sent me the 5 tabs and requested a Yankees T-shirt with his name "Cuomo" on it. I obliged and that was the end of it.
Yesterday, I got a message through eBay from a customer. I have since changed the reverse to say "redeem 10 tabs for a free team pennant of your choice" as the personaized tee shirt was a hassle . He asked how it works. I recognized the buyer. He mentioned he had cut the tabs just like when he was a kid and wanted the pennant.
Anyway, he's another Yankee fan and will be redeeming his tabs. This is only the second buyer to redeem the tabs in 9 years--well worth it. I learned he's 84 years old and has lived in Hauppauge his entire life. Now THAT's "old school".
I will be drop-shipping him a Mitchell & Ness 50's style Yankees Pennant.
Something very unique about Yankee fans...he's a sweet old dude and a wonderful customer.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

This is absolutely outstanding, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

It had to be a guy in his 80s that would cut the tabs now days! Banty cards have certainly been gaining in popularity lately. I came across a stash of them I had purchased over the years, but I am almost always outbid these days on just about any one I try for. Happy to see that, but bummed about losing out too. Phil has always been extremely generous as well, for which I am thankful. Definitely the best custom cards I have ever purchased.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Thank you, mrmopar!

My guy, happy to say, received his pennant today. Successful transaction (I was concerned about the 3rd-party shipping--but it worked).
    Yes, he's going to be 85 this month and thrilled with the team's start!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella