Home Sports Talk
Options

Should Andy Russell be in the Hall of Fame?

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pittsburgh Steelers great linebacker had more sacks than both Jack Ham and Jack Lambert. Seven time pro bowler. Lost two years of playing due to Vietnam.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Never heard of the guy

    How come he never gets brought up like Ham and Lambert?

  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Andy Russell is well known if you watched/listened to NFL games in the 1960's-70's. He was a stalwart on defense of some pretty mediocre Pittsburgh Steeler teams, probably why he gets no respect, but he most likely played a big role in the plan laid out by Chuck Noll when he took the HC job. The end result was the "Steel Curtain" with Andy in the middle of it all.

    Along with my Father and a full row of Uncles and Cousins I had a season pass to Browns games from 1965-1973. One call I remember the PA announcer making countless times: Kelly the ball carrier, tackled by Rrrrrussell in a trademark growl!! :p

  • Options

    Andy Russell was just a bit early to get the recognition deserved. He played the beginning and middle of career when the Steelers were one of the doormats of the league. However, it was great there was some reward for going through the losing at the beginning to end up being a 2-time Super Bowl winner when the Steelers had their dominant stretch in mid-1970's. If Russell had started and ended about 5 years later, he would probably be mentioned for HOF consideration.

  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    Andy Russell is well known if you watched/listened to NFL games in the 1960's-70's. He was a stalwart on defense of some pretty mediocre Pittsburgh Steeler teams, probably why he gets no respect, but he most likely played a big role in the plan laid out by Chuck Noll when he took the HC job. The end result was the "Steel Curtain" with Andy in the middle of it all.

    Along with my Father and a full row of Uncles and Cousins I had a season pass to Browns games from 1965-1973. One call I remember the PA announcer making countless times: Kelly the ball carrier, tackled by Rrrrrussell in a trademark growl!! :p

    I didn't get into football until the late 70's. So outside of the big name guys I'm not all that familiar with a lot of the players

  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, he should be in.

    Jim Marshall of the Vikings as well.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    it's worth mentioning that Russell passed away today

    i assume that's why cool created this thread

  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

    Rest in peace Andy Russell

  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

    It is well known that both Lambert and Ham said everything they ever learned about football was from Russell.
    Yes he should be in.

    Didn't know: RIP Mr Russell.

    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

    RIP

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    it's worth mentioning that Russell passed away today

    i assume that's why cool created this thread

    Wow. No I did not hear about his passing until I read your post just now. Looks like he passed away just shortly after my post.

    RIP :'(

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    Never heard of the guy

    How come he never gets brought up like Ham and Lambert?

    hey perkdog...
    stop over I have on VHS when Chuck wanted to cut/$hitcan Andy...

  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @GroceryRackPack said:

    @perkdog said:
    Never heard of the guy

    How come he never gets brought up like Ham and Lambert?

    hey perkdog...
    stop over I have on VHS when Chuck wanted to cut/$hitcan Andy...

    Love the NFL films!!!

    Old school!!!!

  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

    RIP

    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

    Ralph

  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've always wanted him to be, and he's at least borderline as far as deserving to be. Russell was the same age as my mother, and went to a different high school in the same town, and is, by far, the biggest sports star to come out of that high school (Zeke Elliott gets that crown from my mom's high school). Anyway, my mom met him once or twice and always rooted for him when he made the pros.

    RIP Andy.

    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
Sign In or Register to comment.