Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1941-S Jefferson Nickel Large S ?

I am attaching a photo of two 1941-S Jefferson nickels with what appear to be distinctly different reverses
... the large and small S mintmarks. Interested in any opinion as to why the large S (if it actually is) doesn't appear to line up below the the window frame as it is expected to. ???

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 11:00AM

@bababoo said:
    I am attaching a photo of two 1941-S Jefferson nickels with what appear to be distinctly different reverses
    ... the large and small S mintmarks. Interested in any opinion as to why the large S (if it actually is) doesn't appear to line up below the the window frame as it is expected to. ???

That certainly is the large S on the left, I'm not sure if it is supposed to line up with the window.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prior to 1990, mint marks were punched into the dies by hand, so their position varies.

• Options

This is the link that I read specifically referring to the positioning of the Large S. The article specifically states there is only one die pair known for the Large S variety.....so that is the basis for my post here. Could this be another die pairing using the Large S mintmark. ???
    https://cointalk.com/threads/variety-1941-s-large-s-jefferson-nickel-fs-501.213511/

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bababoo said:
    This is the link that I read specifically referring to the positioning of the Large S. The article specifically states there is only one die pair known for the Large S variety.....so that is the basis for my post here. Could this be another die pairing using the Large S mintmark. ???
    https://cointalk.com/threads/variety-1941-s-large-s-jefferson-nickel-fs-501.213511/

The post you reference is incorrect. There are 16 different die marriages for the 1941 Large S nickel documented on Varietyvista, and there could possibly be others.

http://varietyvista.com/04a JN DD Vol 1/DDR Detail Pages/1941SMMS00201.htm

• Options

I referenced Variety Vista prior to my initial post and I believe those reference the RPM FS-502 as Dr. Wiles mentions in the header of the photos...not the solo mintmark as I have photographed. ???

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've known about the large and small 1941-S Mintmarks for a long time. This is the first time I've seen a write up on them. I never (and still don't) think there is any great or profound rarity to the different sizes.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 9:06PM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I've known about the large and small 1941-S Mintmarks for a long time. This is the first time I've seen a write up on them. I never (and still don't) think there is any great or profound rarity to the different sizes.

Pete

When I read an opinion like yours, it makes me curious. How long have you specialized in the Jefferson nickel series?
    The OP in the link appears to be some sort of Jefferson nickel expert.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

The large S variety is scarcer than the normal small s, for all denominations.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

The large S variety is scarcer than the normal small s, for all denominations.

But that doesn't make them rare.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

When I read an opinion like yours, it makes me curious. How long have you specialized in the Jefferson nickel series?
    The OP in the link appears to be some sort of Jefferson nickel expert.

I never said that I "specialized" in the Jefferson Nickel Series. I only said that I knew of the Large and Small S 1941 coins. My basis for opinion rests on seeing a lot of examples of the Large S over the course of 55 years of being a coin collector.

I thought that an "opinion" was accepted as a personal view on the issue (and I did explain why I made it).

Pete

Sorry if I upset you.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is at least one large-S paired with a nice DDR, I briefly owned an example in the late 1990s, I purchased it through an eBay auction and about a month later, the seller reached out with a gnawing case of seller's remorse and I sold it back to him.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file