Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Sample with Silver Eagle - wonder what else is in the PCGS warehouse??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started noticing these recently, interesting combination of slab/sticker. Holder has been used since 2020 with a 2006 sticker on the reverse. They have been bringing good money for a silver eagle.

Makes me wonder what else is stored in the PCGS warehouse!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if people in the encapsulation room are making errors?

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Is it a case of “Midnite Slabbers?” :D

Doug
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were these given "free" back then when you signed up for platinum membership?

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 9:25AM

I signed up for PCGS basic membership about 20 years ago. They sent me a slabbed 2003 silver Eagle, graded MS68. However, it does not have a serial number - instead it says "Club Edition".

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

Also, at a recent Baltimore show, NGC was handing out low value coins in 'sample' slabs, apparently to introduce us to some new slab security features.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could someone have had a sample slab reholdered for whatever reason? 2006 cert in a 2020 holder is strange

Doug
  • Options

I think it's a Fastcoin sample.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

There seem to be a lot of samples out there that I think someone like Fastcoin had made.
    If the grade has an "80" there I think it was a sample made and paid for by someone. But there are some samples with the 80 as the grade but these are early samples that I have seen.

So when you buy one of these samples you need to research the holder and decide if it is truly an original sample.

Bob

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    Were these given "free" back then when you signed up for platinum membership?

Yes, I got one with a $99 Gold membership in 2004. I think silver was less than $10 an ounce then, though.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    I think it's a Fastcoin sample.

Who or what is Fastcoin?

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file