Home Sports Talk

Need help with identification

pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently acquired this very cool photograph. The family who owned it said that the team was from Christian University. There were two real photo postcards with the team photo showing two different buildings at the university. The team photo was taken in 1907. The postcards were postmarked in Columbus Ohio and mailed to an address in Germany I believe in either 1908 or 1911. I tried to research Christian University in Columbus but there was not one in existence in 1907. I cannot make out the team's name on the uniform. I believe it begins with a "C" and ends with "tal". Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could help.

Great photos

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a Capital University in Columbus. Since early 1800s.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local Historical Society's or Museums may be of assistance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to say Capital on the jerseys. Tying into what Brick mentioned earlier.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Brick is correct. I did a quick search and found a photo of Lehmann Hall, named after Wilhelm Lehmann, the president of Capital University from 1857-1880. Looks like your postcard.

Capital University was officially incorporated in 1850 when the Ohio General Assembly granted the school its charter, although it was founded twenty years earlier in 1830 as a Lutheran seminary in Canton, OH. That might explain the description as a "Christian university".

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    There is a Capital University in Columbus. Since early 1800s.

@Chicago1976 said:
    I think Brick is correct. I did a quick search and found a photo of Lehmann Hall, named after Wilhelm Lehmann, the president of Capital University from 1857-1880. Looks like your postcard.

Capital University was officially incorporated in 1850 when the Ohio General Assembly granted the school its charter, although it was founded twenty years earlier in 1830 as a Lutheran seminary in Canton, OH. That might explain the description as a "Christian university".

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH! Great detective work and in rapid time. The family also believed that the blackened window on my postcard was the family member's dorm room. Pretty cool history. Thanks again to everyone who assisted or commented.