Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seeking a quality coin dealer recommendation for Gainesville Florida area

2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an inquiry from a trusted source about handling a collection that’s been in a SD box for an extended period of time.
Since i live north of Seattle this probably isn’t for me, can anyone recommend someone you trust?

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 7:35PM

NFC is in the area, and they have a decent rep.
    Edit- probably an hour or so south of Gainesville.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 8:05PM

Go see Vince at US Coin and Jewelry Gallery at the Millhopper Shopping Center. Great guy with lots of great inventory.

Edited to add: if it’s worthwhile I would fly out to meet your friend. I absolutely love looking at old collections from SD boxes and am a buyer. I also have a reason to be there soon, so this would actually help get me there

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 8:22PM

I personally have never been there(to the coin dealer, not the town), but I have been told that there is only one dealer there, and that he sells mostly high end coins(why I haven’t been there). Most of the good places in FL are south of Gainesville. I live North of there, so I don’t really have much experience with coin dealers.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options

Thank you for responding everyone, appreciate the help!

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a bad experience with Vince. Years ago my wife, who knew nothing about coins, purchased a proof set from him for a Christmas gift for me. The set was highly spotted and when my wife looked closely at it she was disappointed. So I took the set back and asked for an exchange. Vince said no and wasn't terribly nice about it. The proof set was about a $6 item. Of all the money I have since spent on coins, he has received not one thin dime, though I did stop by once years later to weight some of my patterns. My opinion is that a dealer should stand behind a $6 dollar purchase, especially one made by a total neophyte. Consequently if I decided to sell my coins to a dealer, I would definitely look elsewhere. Of course, as the saying goes, your mileage may differ. @Renomedphys has some seriously nice coins, so the endorsement based on his experience may be more typical.

Mark

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 12:56AM

I live in the area. Of the shops I've visited, I wouldn't recommend any of them. The dealers are rude and can get political, and I do not react well to that these days. Don't talk pseudoscience to a scientist. The Lake City dealer doesn't display his stock. He keeps junk silver and proof sets at the counter, and his valuable coins in the back room. He doesn't carry any of the coins I collect, but he's excellent for buying bullion and 90% silver.

Vince at C&J Gallery doesn't look familiar to me from his photo. That's a good thing. I have not visited his shop yet.

C&J Gallery had a shop off Newberry Rd. closer to campus. I had a strange encounter, arguing modern versus old grading standards of SLH with the dealer there. We agreed the only thing important is a price. Watching the dealer bounce inexpensive coins I wanted to examine off the glass countertop to me was weird. He had few coins of interest, and the carelessness with coins was a turnoff. I guess he was angry or something about what I asked to examine. I went home, read his reviews, and laughed at the horrible stories of poor customer service there.

@CRHer700 What county to do live in? We may be neighbors.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    RandomsRandoms Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

A bit south, I have done many deals with Coin Guy in Spring Hill. Both buying and selling

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the area as I attend the University of Florida in Gainesville. If they need help going through it, seeing what they have, and inventorying it I would be interested in assisting. As for coin dealers, I have been to Coins and Jewelry Gallery and met Vince once, but I have never done business so I don't have anything to add. Edgewood Coin in Jacksonville I have heard good things about as well as NFC in Orlando.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options

@Barberian said:
    I live in the area. Of the shops I've visited, I wouldn't recommend any of them. The dealers are rude and can get political, and I do not react well to that these days. The Lake City dealer doesn't display his stock. He keeps junk silver and proof sets at the counter, and his valuable coins in the back room. He doesn't carry any of the coins I collect, but he's excellent for buying bullion and 90% silver.

Vince at C&J Gallery doesn't look familiar to me from his photo. That's a good thing. I have not visited his shop yet.

@CRHer700 What county to do live in? We may be neighbors.

I’ve been to the Lake City dealer once, but that is the only dealer that I have been to. I’ll PM you my location sometime tomorrow.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sarasota Rare Coin Gallery is about 200 miles south of Gainesville and is connected with Jeff Garrett.

• Options
    HolyCityHolyCity Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

I’d reach out to the folks at Edgewood coin in Jacksonville. They’ve been around a long time. They really did me right in a deal we did. They could probably drive down and meet your friend if it’s worthwhile.

• Options

Thank you! Appreciate the help everyone

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Z-Man's Coins in St. Augustine, perhaps.

• Options

I now have info that there will be a coin shop opening in High Springs Florida sometime this month.

• Options

I have had many people send boxes of inherited coins to me in a bulk submission. I go through them and put values on. them. If the seller wants to sell them I charge a whopping 4% commission. I am retired and enjoy doing this to ensure sellers are treated fair, and receive back top dollar on their coins. I also check for varieties . being retired I still do 6-8 appointments a month on word of mouth referrals. PM me if interested.

• Options

Drive north to Tallahassee and visit Capital Coin.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options

@CRHer700 said:
    I now have info that there will be a coin shop opening in High Springs Florida sometime this month.

Near the touristy part of High Springs? Would love to find out more about this.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local isn't always best, especially if the coins aren't generic/common/low value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@renomedphys said:

@Davidk7 said:

@CRHer700 said:

Near the touristy part of High Springs? Would love to find out more about this.

I too am curious. Maybe they’ll open up in the old bike shop next to El Patio and the karate place.

As it turns out, I have a house in High Springs right on the SantaFe. No, I’m not some kinda snow bird with a house in Florida. It was inherited from my dad when he passed a couple of years back, and I just can’t bear to let the place go. It’s so beautiful there!

That's really cool! I've been to High Springs a few times, mostly after going to the Ichetucknee Springs. You have a beautiful view!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2024 4:10PM

Lots of coin neighbors! We live about 3 miles from the Santa Fe and kayak the river often. It would be great if High Springs can get another bike shop and a coin shop. There was somebody who supposed had a coin shop on US27 west of Main Street, but it is never open. A new shop opening would at least be good for supplies, bullion, and hopefully conversations about coins.

And just maybe they're into Newfoundland coins, Seated halves, and circulated classic commemoratives.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

I met the guy who owns it at the CW auction company building in High Springs. He said that it would be down town, but I haven't gone looking for it yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file