Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Moving Some Of The Coins From My Box

ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2024 11:32AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

There is a show this next MAR.3.2024 - Across the border that I will be going.

Have some of my coins that do not fit anymore on my Box, that I am going to sell or maybe trade.

Need to ask here about some of them in order to keep them or not.

Starting with this one.
Worth to be sent for grading even if returns with a details, also worth to keep it?, I have seen this error on other three coins:
The coin has been cleaned in the past and it getting toned, with a die clash error - Word LIBERTAD (LIB) on top of cactus & Rays

I will post others...

Thanks!

Edit: Removed the Peru 50 centimos 1858 will give it a try and send it for grading on my next lot - Looked at this with more detail have a scratch on observe so will be out too.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the show?

The Mexico City show starts 06 March.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2024 1:21PM

@pruebas said:
    Where is the show?

The Mexico City show starts 06 March.

Is in Tijuana, on the Avenida Revolucion, it is the six one that I am going, in the previous ones, there were sellers from Guadalajara and Mexico City, no idea if any of them will show up. Normally between 20 to 25 dealers, you will see there.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2024 2:31PM

This show it is a small one, and goes just for one day, it is by the Numismatic Society of the City of Tijuana. It's close to me.
    In the early 90's I lived in Irvine, Ca. Never went to any coin show(s) if any back then, that were too close but the main reason I was not in the buying coins mode.

• Options

Enjoy the show and good luck selling! Do you have a table or do you walk around?

I am on the East Coast, so unfortunately, I cannot attend. But I would like to if I was close.

It used to be that Pennsylvania (of all places) was a big place for Mexican coins. I don't know if it's like that anymore.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Enjoy the show and good luck selling! Do you have a table or do you walk around?

I am on the East Coast, so unfortunately, I cannot attend. But I would like to if I was close.

It used to be that Pennsylvania (of all places) was a big place for Mexican coins. I don't know if it's like that anymore.

No, just walk around, I know some of the dealers that attend there and have done the deals with them.

Thanks!.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2024 5:35AM

About the 8R 1840 Go PJ, this came on a small lot of coins, there was no comments about the clash error with the partial LIBERTAD word and the rays, simple that was cleaned in the past and was getting toned again.

Apart of the clash error it has a dot on the lower left part of the cap.

Too bad that it also have a small scratch on reverse. So not sure if simple leave the coin as-is on the box.

• Options

I think it’s a cool coin and should be an easy sell. But maybe not graded, so you can offer it at a better price.

The market has gotten so strange/picky lately. I think this is because the collectors of these things are “rich” guys who only want uber-graded examples. All the newer collectors (and the “non-rich” guys) want uber-graded moderns (like graded bullion) rather than lower-graded classic coins.

Case in point. I recently sold an 1877-GnCG 8R which was an error where the Gn was supposed to be Cn. It was PCGS graded UNC Details with an important pedigree. Sold dirt-cheap.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    I think it’s a cool coin and should be an easy sell. But maybe not graded, so you can offer it at a better price.

The market has gotten so strange/picky lately. I think this is because the collectors of these things are “rich” guys who only want uber-graded examples. All the newer collectors (and the “non-rich” guys) want uber-graded moderns (like graded bullion) rather than lower-graded classic coins.

Case in point. I recently sold an 1877-GnCG 8R which was an error where the Gn was supposed to be Cn. It was PCGS graded UNC Details with an important pedigree. Sold dirt-cheap.

Yes it is. Will be leave as-is and will try to sell it there or maybe trade it. Thanks!

• Options

Moving these two from TOGO 1948 1 & 2 Francs - BU - Aluminum, hard to find in this condition. Also bought some time ago with other coins.

• Options

1968 Albania Proof Set Silver

I bought this set with the thinking of end up buying others proof sets, similar to this one from other countries, but that never happen, at least as today. so another to go.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2024 5:38AM

San Luis Potosi 1/4 Real 1845 - I only have seen another one of this type but a rare one, posted here. Simple difficult at least for me to go and try to find some other ones in this condition.

• Options

Now my Box it is where I put all my raw coins.

Moving this one too:

• Options

And the last one to go, no images:
    1872 CH M UN PESO AU+ Mintage: 747, 000, but with a small scratch on the upper right of the cap between the small rays.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 9:44AM

These were moved out:
    The Albania 1968 set.
    The two TOGO francs.
    The Colombia 50C.
    And the San Luis Potosi 1/4R.

There were two guys selling reales 1/2R - 1R - 2R & 8R Pillars, Bust and Cap & Rays, on the Pillar type no 4R.

Now to me all the coins i saw except maybe one but with a detail on the M of the mint with a scratch this on 1R. all looked that were cleaned and the 8R Cap & Ray dipped, these looked nice for sure, but I did not buy one, were being sold at $150 or a tube with 20 each at $95.

A 1733 1R Mexico that looked that was cleaned and some type of ink on reverse maybe VG being sold for $1,150

There were 20 tables, apart of these two guys the rest was selling modern coins.

Did not buy anything.

• Options

@ELuis said:
    The coin has been cleaned in the past and it getting toned, with a die clash error - Word LIBERTAD (LIB) on top of cactus & Rays

And by the way this type of error can be found also on the Peso Cap & Rays: