Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this really a 10?

I'm considering picking up a PSA10 Bo Jackson Desert Shield and selling off several of my 9s.

It's sickening when you see something worse then all your 9s that's sitting in a PSA10 slab with a population of 50.

The tilt gets you dizzy
The rear top edge isn't pristine but overall the edges seem okay but BGS would NOT give it a 10 for edges. It's possible they got worse after graded.
There is a stain on the back that's not hard to see.

I think I'm going to crack all my 9s and send them to 4SC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266683789788?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xTOsf_ZhS6m&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ae-eOCLFR9S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They make centering tools for anyone to use and yet this happened. Is there any excuse?

PSA needs to get to the bottom of this unless they are okay with getting blasted for horribly graded cards.

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    .......I think I'm going to crack all my 9s and send them to 4SC...........

What you're saying is fairly valid except for this. There's no guarantee that 4SC was the submitter of that card.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also the Card Pic levels on purpose or not, have been boosted/bloated to obscure detail thus the card will look only look worse in hand than the provided image.

It's an older slab circa 2014? 2015? 2016? still what was true then is even more true today and that's the first line of the fifth verse of The Who's "Join Together"

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it really a 10? Yes. The label says 10.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Card looks a little crooked in the slab.
    Does this help?

I guess not.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks wider at the top left and wider at the bottom right (not by much), but in Totality kind of looks somewhat centered. If there are no other flaws and I was a grader (no psa 9.5's) i would think hard about giving it a 10. Overall i don't think it a huge issue or practically no issue.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

Looking at sequential cert #s, it appears this was submitted by Probstein (Ha!). As far as the grade, you know, it is what it is in the slab and it's not the worst 10 I've seen slabbed. It would probably grade 8 or 9 these days but... I have no idea. PSA grades are mysterious. They say "Life is like PSA grading...".

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@JolleyWrencher said:
    .......I think I'm going to crack all my 9s and send them to 4SC...........

What you're saying is fairly valid except for this. There's no guarantee that 4SC was the submitter of that card.

Yup, and decent chance you end up with 2 8s and 2 9s or some similar combo.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

ok
    Now to answer a dumb question.

How can one tell card submitter from a cert #?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

I was mostly joking because there's no way I know to be certain. The Bo is a type 9 flip and I ran a little script forward and back and it found that 25013991 - 25014020 were all the same 1991 topps desert shield set. The recorded sale for these on VCP were mostly probstein. Earlier someone assumed that 4sc submitted because they were selling, which is conjecture, just as my Ha! about probstein was conjecture.

I wouldn't actually think that probstein actually submitted these as they are Type 9? flips (I think) and those would have been at least a couple years before they were listed by probstein. But who knows. I apologize for adding any confusion.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

I was mostly joking because there's no way I know to be certain. The Bo is a type 9 flip and I ran a little script forward and back and it found that 25013991 - 25014020 were all the same 1991 topps desert shield set. The recorded sale for these on VCP were mostly probstein. Earlier someone assumed that 4sc submitted because they were selling, which is conjecture, just as my Ha! about probstein was conjecture.

I wouldn't actually think that probstein actually submitted these as they are Type 9? flips (I think) and those would have been at least a couple years before they were listed by probstein. But who knows. I apologize for adding any confusion.

Type 10. Type 9 does not have the reverse barcode. Graded from 12/2/15 to 6/13/17.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    ok
    Now to answer a dumb question.

At one time, 4SC had a dedicated run of cert numbers which spanned from 811XXX to 819XXX but that was discontinued years ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

10s don't have to be 50/50 centered. This one looks like it's within the limits of a 10.

• Options

First impression is that's a beautiful card. The color, gloss and centering are amazing. But that back corner top left is terrible.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

TY for reply

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 4:43PM

Coincidentally, I recently saw a PSA 10 1985 Topps McGwire at eBay (6 days to go). You think this Bo Jackson has a tilt -- the McGwire makes me dizzy looking at it -- and even the PSA Flip is crooked. Just looks "sloppy" to me... If I submitted it, I think it would come back a PSA 7 (maybe an 8 if I'm lucky)

edit: I took a closer look at this card and it seems a little bit "off" to me. The serial number starts with an 8 -- but the PSA flip is from maybe the 2's or 3's serial numbers. It just has warning signs imho

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:
    First impression is that's a beautiful card. The color, gloss and centering are amazing. But that back corner top left is terrible.

not to mention the stain or gray splotch towards the bottom on the back of the card...with the tilt, corner and this splotch, I would guess it would get an 8 most of the time

• Options
    MondeloMondelo Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 7:27PM

I will not send in another vintage card to psa.. it’s gotten so bad In my opinion, since the BS. You could send in all 9’s and 10’s .. they’ll come back 7’s. They’ve over corrected in my opinion.

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

No way that's any higher than an 8 these days. My money would be on a 7.

• Options

I've said it before..I've received 10s which are not 10s. I'm not a big name consigner. So I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth. My 10s are on cards worth $100max. My cards that I felt were graded too low were cards that are worth more like 1993 fleer scoring kings basketball or Bazooka Joe gold lebron rookie. If I had go 1 point higher on these instead of 1 point lower then I'd be in the money like probstein and 4sc.

I liked (past tense) PSA because they were the most accurate grader (in my eyes as a teengager) and I've had PSA slabbed cards on a pedestal until I got a membership and saw the experiences of others.

The stain, the corner, or the titl...any of those 3 makes it less than all the cards which only have 1 of those 3 issues. They had a stain qualifier for a reason and ditched the qualifier by baking it into the grade. A PSA10 with a visible stain SHOULD NOT be possible, period. Add in the other issues...

This card didn't get the 10 because it deserved it people. This wasn't an accident that it graded better than it should have. Something else CLEARLY was at play and this is still going on today.

If 2 people are seeing the card with the proposed grade before it gets shipped out then either you have 2 professionals who suck at their job or you have a scam.