Home Sports Talk
Options

All time NFL MVP list.

HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

What does this list tell you.
It’s a very difficult award to win.
These are the only people with two or more.
Just think of all the greats who aren’t on it.

Walter Peyton. Barry Sanders. Etc. Etc.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 22, 2024 2:27AM

Alan Page and LT are the only defensive players who won the award. Almost impossible for a defensive player to win.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2024 5:51AM

MVP awards dont thrill me all that much. It can be a popularity contest in my opinion

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    MVP awards dont thrill me all that much. It can be a popularity contest in my opinion

plus only one non qb on that list. I think i remember that the one year Barry sanders won the MVP he had to share it, i think with favre.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭

The list tells me that MVP is a n offensive award and more specially a QB award. Alexander was the last player to win it that wasnt a QB and that was 2005. Lawrence Taylor was the last player that wasnt a QB or RB to win it and that was 1986.

47 QBs have won the MVP, 18 RBs, 1 LB, 1 DT, and 1 kicker. Its been almost 30 years since a defensive player won it and almost 20 years since anyone but a QB won it.

The Heisman at least mixes in more RBs and a couple WRs, but both awards you just arent going to win unless you play offense and really just QB or RB

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The heisman award is worse in this day and age. Usually the best player in the country is not the winner.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

The Heisman usually gets it right and is far better at doing so than the NFL or MLB

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    The list tells me that MVP is a n offensive award and more specially a QB award. Alexander was the last player to win it that wasnt a QB and that was 2005. Lawrence Taylor was the last player that wasnt a QB or RB to win it and that was 1986.

47 QBs have won the MVP, 18 RBs, 1 LB, 1 DT, and 1 kicker. Its been almost 30 years since a defensive player won it and almost 20 years since anyone but a QB won it.

The Heisman at least mixes in more RBs and a couple WRs, but both awards you just arent going to win unless you play offense and really just QB or RB

Or does the MVP award tell us what we already know, that the QB position is the most important position in football.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2024 12:48PM

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Or does the MVP award tell us what we already know, that the QB position is the most important position in football.

Some guys don't believe the QB is the most important, there have been a lot of arguments about that but every time I come out of it with leaning that the QB is still the most important

• Options

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

QB play is directly tied to the ability of the linemen and WRs. Its certainly an important position but its still a team game where ultimately the teammates have a major impact on their stats. Mahomes had over 40 passes dropped this year, the Lions had their season ended because of two good throws that were flat out dropped etc. The Ravens Steelers, and Giants have won SBs in the recent past past because of their defenses.

The MVP award in general is kind of dumb. Is it just supposed to be a star QB on a good team or who is actually most valuable? If its just supposed to be the QB or RB on a playoff team then the award should be renamed. 2019 no one was more valuable to their team than McCaffrey was on a terrible Panthers team yet never got any awards because of the team record. Baseball had this problem for decades as well but has improved on it somewhat in recent years.

To make it even dumber Jackson won the MVP in 2019 yet wasnt even the offensive player of the year. How can an offensive player be the best player winning the MVP but not be the offensive player of the year?

If they just want to rename it the QB award it would make more sense at this point

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

QB play is directly tied to the ability of the linemen and WRs. Its certainly an important position but its still a team game where ultimately the teammates have a major impact on their stats. Mahomes had over 40 passes dropped this year, the Lions had their season ended because of two good throws that were flat out dropped etc. The Ravens Steelers, and Giants have won SBs in the recent past past because of their defenses.

The MVP award in general is kind of dumb. Is it just supposed to be a star QB on a good team or who is actually most valuable? If its just supposed to be the QB or RB on a playoff team then the award should be renamed. 2019 no one was more valuable to their team than McCaffrey was on a terrible Panthers team yet never got any awards because of the team record. Baseball had this problem for decades as well but has improved on it somewhat in recent years.

To make it even dumber Jackson won the MVP in 2019 yet wasnt even the offensive player of the year. How can an offensive player be the best player winning the MVP but not be the offensive player of the year?

If they just want to rename it the QB award it would make more sense at this point

Best QB, RB, WR and so on and so on is the only way to go

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Going by position would make more sense to me in football where its such a team game. Theres really not a way for a single person to just take over a game without significant help from teammates on every play

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Going by position would make more sense to me in football where its such a team game. Theres really not a way for a single person to just take over a game without significant help from teammates on every play

Very true, whereas in basketball a Jordan can take over a game because it’s more one on one.
    A pitcher can take over a game as can a goalie in hockey. Football not so much unless a QB is on fire and hitting every receiver in stride all day long.

• Options

I think more Super Bowl champion teams have more great QB’s then more great RB’s on them.
    Haven’t done the research though.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2024 7:21AM

@Hidhoe said:
    I think more Super Bowl champion teams have more great QB’s then more great RB’s on them.

Or in Some cases a Doug Williams and Timmy Smith or Jeff Hostetler and Otis Anderson will be the combo

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Hidhoe said:

Or in Some cases a Doug Williams and Timmy Smith or Jeff Hostetler and Otis Anderson will be the combo

Interesting.
    David Woodley even made a Super Bowl.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    The Heisman usually gets it right and is far better at doing so than the NFL or MLB

Nah, its nothing more than a popularity contest. But thanks for the laugh.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Hidhoe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Very true, whereas in basketball a Jordan can take over a game because it’s more one on one.
    A pitcher can take over a game as can a goalie in hockey. Football not so much unless a QB is on fire and hitting every receiver in stride all day long.

Even with pitchers unless they strike everyone out they still need help with balls in play and run support especially now that they dont hit anymore aside from Othani. Goalies same thing a team has to score for them but goalies in hockey are the closest to a single player being able to take over a game like you can see in the NBA.

The NBAs really the only league where I think a MVP or "best player" overall award makes sense. Lebron carried the CAVs to and through the playoffs several times. Its the only league where you can go from last to title contender with 1 pick.

• Options

@Hidhoe said:

Depends what time frame you want to use. The first 20 probably had more great RBs than QBs. The more moderns ones most they probably have both or at the very least two that if you combined them would be considered a monster season. Its really only been like a decade where its become a pass happy league which is what the league has been pushing for since its more entertaining to watch.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

Nah, its nothing more than a popularity contest. But thanks for the laugh.

Thats simply not true. Its the same voters that vote for the rankings. The winner they get right far more than not and they have been better about it the last few years other than here and there someone gets invited to NY and doesnt win that shouldnt have been there like Bennett when Hooker should have been there in his place