Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the TrueView image for my Morgan the only one?

SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2024 5:09PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

I picked up this coin for my Everyman New Orleans set as well as my personal slab generations set.
When I looked up the cert, I only get 1 image that is of my coin but it's all jacked up...

Does PCGS have more images or am I forever stuck with this TrueView image?

The slab is a Gen 4.4S produced from Mar 2010 - Dec 2011.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a TruView image. What you are seeing is an old scan when PCGS used what they called "the sniffer" to look for added materials on the surface of a coin. Those scans show up attached to the cert numbers of coins, but they were never meant to be TruViews.

This is a known quirk in the PCGS database and PCGS should, if easy to find, fix the issue.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB Very interesting!

I totally forgot about the sniffer and this is the first time I've seen that image. I own a coin with a TrueView of the whole slab which is odd to see...

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samets said:
    @TomB Very interesting!

I totally forgot about the sniffer and this is the first time I've seen that image. I own a coin with a TrueView of the whole slab which is odd to see...

Not sure if the slab images are called Trueview - even though they are in newer secure holders. I believe they were from their overseas office in Europe. I have 2 such pieces and actually dislike them very much ... not because of the image quality but because they have oriented the reverse side of the slab upright which means the reverse coin image is upside down on the photo and the overall image of the coin is small as they focused on the full slab in the picture. Inane if you ask me. Customer service told me I would have the send the coin to be re-image if I like ... but my answer was "thank you but no".

I would contact customer service about your image ... they were responsive to my inquiries ( even if the answers were not what I wanted to hear.

• Options

Reached out to PCGS CS and it sounds like they don't have any photos of this coin...