Home U.S. Coin Forum

Don't Always trust your first Instincts!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2024 2:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
I decided to pick up a bank box of cents today!
Well, I got this one box that looked good to go?

However, when I got in my car and opened it. Awwww! Customer wrapped!!!

Right away, I thought, "take them back!"
But then, I decided to open a roll?
I'm so, so glad I did!

WOW! In the very first roll too!
Now I know they haven't been searched. :D
I'm so glad I didn't go with my "first instincts!".
To be continued...

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

Fun......waiting for part 2.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that box sealed shut like normal boxes we get from banks?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know what other cool coins that you find. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool 😎

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only found an Indian cent once while searching rolls. It was a 1903. This happened in 1962 ... 62 years ago!

All glory is fleeting.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Not sealed. I did not notice at the time.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@291fifth said:
    I only found an Indian cent once while searching rolls. It was a 1903. This happened in 1962 ... 62 years ago!

Wow, that long ago? The last one I found wasn't too long ago. Maybe about 2 yrs. ago?
    :)

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your first instinct was to go to the bank and get the box, your second instinct was to return it.

LCoopie = Les
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

@lcoopie said:
    Your first instinct was to go to the bank and get the box, your second instinct was to return it.

Yes, this is true!
    Good Point.
    ;)

edited February 21, 2024 3:18PM

@JBK said:

@lcoopie said:

His first instinct was to go to Starbucks, then the bank, and so on. :D

Yes, this is also true!
    :D
    Thanks guys.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Joey! And I totally agree about "instincts", "hunches", "first impressions" and the like, like most things put out as gospel, pure bunk!

And I'm sure there are others here are super curious about what is underneath those wrappers, and would allow you to pocket a good olde sawbuck in profit!

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice @joeykoins!

Persistance = 1
    Instinct = 0

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 5:43PM

Get a box of nickels, find a buffalo and convince the IHC to shoot the buffalo, and then you can have a BBQ for the tribe.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

edited February 21, 2024 5:41PM

Currently, at work. Can't continue the box, as of now! Although, I did bring a couple of rolls in, to check out during my breaks/lunch.
    Neverending CRHunter. I'm sure you guys can concur?

@joeykoins said:
    Currently, at work. Can't continue the box, as of now!

You could, if you worked at Loomis or a bank.

Where did Joey go on his lunch break?.............His in the vault looking at coins! 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find

• MartinMartin Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭

C’mon Stop teasing us. You’ve had all nite to check them out @JoeyCoins

Martin

@Martin said:
    C’mon Stop teasing us. You’ve had all nite to check them out @JoeyCoins

Martin

Well, I've been really busy, sorry.
    What I can tell ya guys is, after 8 or 9 rolls. NOTHING! Yep, no wheats and certainly no more Indians. Doesn't look good. Here I am doubting myself once again. 😆
    But, on the good side. I still have over 40 rolls to search and there are many high conditioned coins I'm coming across! Yes close to BU. Even the earlier ones. I'll keep you guys informed. Thank You!
    ;)

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I have had a sealed dime box that was all my own rolls(I roll my coins oddly, so I can tell) that had apparently been resealed and sent back to my bank! I also had a sealed half box that was half someone else's CWRs and half MWRs.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I have had a sealed dime box that was all my own rolls (I roll my coins oddly, so I can tell) that had apparently been resealed and sent back to my bank! I also had a sealed half box that was half someone else's CWRs and half MWRs.

Hmmmmm, that's very odd from where I sit. I don't believed I've ever gotten a sealed box of any denomination with costumer wrapped rolls inside.

Finally, after 15 rolls,
    A WHEATIE!

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you CRHers were after the customer wrapped rolls. Shows what I know.
    Congrats on the IHC and hopefully there are some more to come!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

edited February 22, 2024 4:49PM

A very puzzling bank box?
    At first when I thought the bank was giving me cents from the Fed, it turned out
    ALL customer wrapped.
    Then, in the very first roll opened, an Indian Cent! In great condition too!
    Then, it took 15 rolls after to find anything of significance, a Wheat Cent.
    Then, to make you think, once again, NOT searched!
    Strange indeed??? We all thought, myself included. That this box was going to be magnificent! Thus far, very far from that thought!
    We'll see. Still over 30 rolls to hope for?
    :*
    Welcome to the mystery world of CoinRollHunting!
    Keeps ya wondering, hoping, celebrating and/or
    Complaining!
    😃

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like only 49 rolls in the box so if you can get 50 cents for the Indian Cent you broke even :D

On the other hand where can you get so much enjoyment for $25.00 and still have the $25.00 when you finish searching them. Free entertainment. Keep us posted on what else shows up.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@tommy44 said:
    Looks like only 49 rolls in the box so if you can get 50 cents for the Indian Cent you broke even :D

On the other hand where can you get so much enjoyment for $25.00 and still have the $25.00 when you finish searching them. Free entertainment. Keep us posted on what else shows up.

Very observant!
    Yes, only 49 rolls because I took the picture after I decided to open a roll before bringing back.
    Thanks
    😉

Results...
    Nothing Special after the Indian Cent.
    A few more Wheaties but not significant!
    Thanks 😉

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file