Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - 1884-O Morgan DMPL

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just cracked out this 1884-O Morgan graded MS 6x DPL by NGC. Sending it in to PCGS so the PCGS result will post in 4-8 weeks when I get the result. Post your guess as to what it will come back as.
No need to question the mirrors, I don't see how it doesn't come back DMPL. The question is the letter grade. My expectation is for this to cross straight across with a chance for a + or upgrade.

Comments

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2024 8:52PM

    While I have no reason to doubt you, the photos don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for the DMPL, very frosty though. For the grade I'm at 64.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinbuf said:
    While I have no reason to doubt you, the photos don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for the DMPL, very frosty though. For the grade I'm at 64.

    Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get the forum to trust me on the mirrors. Mirrors really can't be judged in photos.

  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m going to take a stab at it crossing at 64.
    Nice coin!

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a solid 64 to me. Will trust you on the mirrors!

  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

    MS64+DMPL

    image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64 dmpl

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64 pl

  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you see a chance for an upgrade, then my guess is it was an NGC MS 63 DPL. Straight cross would be nice. The rim looks to have some minor dings but otherwise a solid piece.

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64 DMPL

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64 pl

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ProofCollection said:
    I just cracked out this 1884-O Morgan graded MS 6x DPL by NGC. Sending it in to PCGS so the PCGS result will post in 4-8 weeks when I get the result. Post your guess as to what it will come back as.
    No need to question the mirrors, I don't see how it doesn't come back DMPL. The question is the letter grade. My expectation is for this to cross straight across with a chance for a + or upgrade.

    What is a “letter grade” to which you referred?

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @ProofCollection said:
    I just cracked out this 1884-O Morgan graded MS 6x DPL by NGC. Sending it in to PCGS so the PCGS result will post in 4-8 weeks when I get the result. Post your guess as to what it will come back as.
    No need to question the mirrors, I don't see how it doesn't come back DMPL. The question is the letter grade. My expectation is for this to cross straight across with a chance for a + or upgrade.

    What is a “letter grade” to which you referred?

    You have to go by what I meant rather than what I said... Number grade...

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ProofCollection said:

    @MFeld said:

    @ProofCollection said:
    I just cracked out this 1884-O Morgan graded MS 6x DPL by NGC. Sending it in to PCGS so the PCGS result will post in 4-8 weeks when I get the result. Post your guess as to what it will come back as.
    No need to question the mirrors, I don't see how it doesn't come back DMPL. The question is the letter grade. My expectation is for this to cross straight across with a chance for a + or upgrade.

    What is a “letter grade” to which you referred?

    You have to go by what I meant rather than what I said... Number grade...

    64 (C) 😉

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Should get 64DMPL grade

  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    OK, there's clearly consensus. So I'll reveal that it was NGC MS64 DPL. I do think it's a better 64 so I'm hoping for a +. Will post the results when they arrive.

  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

    63 dmpl

    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

    Looks like a solid 64.

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks 64 DMPL

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    ExtremeengineerExtremeengineer Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2024 1:08PM

    63, can't judge PL or DMPL, but since we are guessing, PL.

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I can see where it might land a 65. I mean DMPL's really tend to show every single hit. They jump out because of the mirrors.
    I really do like the strike on this coin.

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

    63DMPL
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jesbroken said:
    63DMPL
    Jim

    He's already revealed the grade

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

    Looking at the pic - 64pl
    I hope you get 64+dm though. Please report back when pcgs posts grades

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't see an MS65 grade... I see enough cheek chatter to warrant MS64DMPL...

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not that a bad example proves anything but why I think it has a shot is due to the very clean fields offset the chop on the cheek.
    Our host saw fit to grade this 85-O as MS65 which I feel is comparable or even inferior to mine.

  • Options
    Jim500Jim500 Posts: 37 ✭✭

    64pl do not see dpl but photos can be hard to tell. Luster indicates it will not dpl.

  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

    63 perhaps even a +. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • Options

    I saw a solid 64 before I read the threads. I could see a "+" added on a good day, but I would stick with 64DMPL.

    Pacecar
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

    Grade in yet?

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 11:42AM

    The grading services try to give you the best shake for your money but it may take a couple tries to get the best grade. Very clean surfaces.

  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ProofCollection said:
    Grade is finally in: it crossed over straight to MS64DMPL. I look at and buy a lot of these, I think they should have given out the + on this one.

    Chest is gonna keep it from 5 but I agree a 4+ would be fair.

    Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think your better off having it in the gold shield holder now anyway. I really prefer the GS to anything NGC offers except for the star designation.
    I don't know why PCGS doesn't do stars or something similar. So many nice one sided PL or DMPL coins. Also coins with color.
    The only question that remains for you is to determine if it is a win in the value dept. I don't currently have an 1884-0 GS. I sold my 1884O in a soapbox a few shows back.

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 10:35AM

    delete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file