Home Metal Detecting
Options

Suggestion for “decent” budget detector

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s a decent low cost rig. nothing with all the added bells and whistles… just good basics.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

If you want to find old coins get a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540. Your next step up would be a Minelab Equinox 600. A Nokta Legend might also be ok; but, I don't have have any direct experience with that model. Do not buy a Garrett detector whatever you do.

Although I dislike Garrett detectors, Garrett pinpointers are my favorite. I prefer the Propointer II; however, the Propointer AT is waterproof and orange in color.

You will need a digging tool. I use a Lesche and have yet to find anything that I like better.

A Vanquish 440 costs less than $300, a pinpointer is about $125, and a digging tool is about $40.

• Options

Based on a low price/budget,,,,, a Nokta Simplex is hard to beat. It sure has a lot of features for the money.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

@GA1dad said:
    Based on a low price/budget,,,,, a Nokta Simplex is hard to beat. It sure has a lot of features for the money.

It's missing the most important feature, simultaneous multi-frequency.

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:

@GA1dad said:

It's missing the most important feature, simultaneous multi-frequency.

I can agree with you that SMF is considered "most important" by modern standards, but I would not consider it an absolute requirement if I was looking for, as the OP stated, "a decent low cost rig. nothing with all the added bells and whistles… just good basics.".