Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hobo Nickel Experts - What am I missing?

I was watching this because I thought it was cool, but now it's at like $1,475 lol so I am wondering what kind of information I am lacking. Thanks in advance!

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hobo nickels have quite the following. When one has the artistry that captures the imagination and with date matching the subject then it only takes two with the desire and the funds.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love that AI description!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually, a hobo nickel that gets that expensive was carved by one of the "pioneers," BERT or BO.
    I'm not so familiar with this niche, but it doesnt appear that this one was done by a "somebody." Always a risk with these things that they are modern, so I stay away

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Kaiser

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without attributing it to one of the known pioneer artists, I just don't know. I don't like the soldered bail. But that's just me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

WWI Prussian figure, so unusual content, but I don't see any definitive proof of age. :#

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I've never seen a Kaiser Bill nickel, my gut feeling is that it is contemporary, and you have at least two people that really want it. It is worth what it sells for, for now.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 8:13PM

Looks like 3 bidders have carried this auction the whole way. Hope they know something we do not. I've never seen a real kaiser nickel, but here is an article in its regards. This might be a CNC nickel.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty nice! But $1475 nice? Who knows............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

This coin sold for $1,625.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!
    Very excellent carving.. just hard to go in that deep without being certain it's legit, right?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if an artist ever inadvertently carved up a 3 legged or overdate by mistake.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld That just made me cringe

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @MFeld That just made me cringe

I'm sorry - please don't flag my post. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Wonder if an artist ever inadvertently carved up a 3 legged or overdate by mistake.

How about an 1918/7-D overdate?

What did it sell for?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

What did it sell for?

$14,400 in 2021.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

What did it sell for?

$14,400 in 2021.

I distinctly remember seeing that coin on the cover of either Coin World or Numismatic News with the headline, "Oh no, Bo!"

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

What did it sell for?

$14,400 in 2021.

Wow that is COOL!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding 1918/7-D hobo, I am pretty sure It was Coin World, Sean. That coin sold in November of 1963 for $2 to the Boystown museum curator at Omaha coin show. I tried to buy it from him then and he told me that I could buy it from his wife when he died. I ended up buying for $400 from the dealer who bought it from his wife for an unknown amount. I kept it in my type set for a few decades and sold it for a profit. I bid a few times on it in 2021 but felt it was plenty high when I quit bidding. I believe there are still only 2 known.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file