Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on Reconsideration Service for Proofs (Plus Grade Upgrades?)

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a handful of CAC-approved Walking Liberty Proofs in "whole" grades (PR64, PR66, PR67).

They're nice original coins that I'm considering sending to PCGS for 'Reconsideration' (evaluation for upgrade in the holder), for plus grades, but it occurred to me that proofs in general may be tougher to upgrade using the Recon service.

My reasoning is that proofs are simply more difficult to evaluate behind the plastic, since faint hairlines make all the difference, especially for the gem grades. Is there merit to that line of thinking, or am I overthinking it?

This set is essentially complete and I'm not really interested in buying higher graded examples, but some of the spreads for a plus grade are $500+, so I figured it might be worth a shot on the coins I already have.

Not that you can tell a PR67 from a PR67+ by the TrueViews, but here are a few just so the thread has photos :)

Any advice, anecdotes or thoughts on the topic are appreciated.

PR66

PR67

PR67

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might use annual vouchers for a regrade if you don't have anything else to submit (assuming you are not concerned with potentially losing a sticker). Others have different results but the reconsideration (IMO) is a much tougher hill to climb.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are nice original Proofs, where I feel the grades for these are probably pretty solid (TPGs are good at hitting these the first time). I don't think you'll see a high percentage of upgrades, since they're not particularly colorful (you can see color bumps swing).

If the spreads are high, it might be worth a shot, but I wouldn't expect much.

Coin Photographer.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would restoration be the better method of submitting these? Not sure if you like the toning on them, but they would get regraded automatically after getting restored. Kind of a win-win in this case.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2024 12:53PM

Plus grades typically fall into “but” that would be a 68 but for xyz. None of those pop (more than simply being attractive and original superb gem proofs) with an above the fold attribute that isn’t already accounted for in their grade. If the mirrors/cameo were above the grade point “but” the coin is being held back because of xyz and so on. Typically plus grades present as the grade above but we’re held back for a specific reasons.

Your strongest coin appears to be your 41 and it is already a 67, life get tough higher than that but who knows if you submitted it a dozen times, I wouldn’t rule it out. The mirrors of the 38 and the evenness of the toning of the 42 appear to make the current grades their maximums.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Would restoration be the better method of submitting these? Not sure if you like the toning on them, but they would get regraded automatically after getting restored. Kind of a win-win in this case.

That would be the play hoping the mirrors pop afterwards. That said the thought of chasing a grade or dollar at the expense of the increasing rarity of original mid century proofs makes crypto sad
    :'(

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I might use annual vouchers for a regrade if you don't have anything else to submit (assuming you are not concerned with potentially losing a sticker). Others have different results but the reconsideration (IMO) is a much tougher hill to climb.

I agree that the Regrade service would have a higher chance of upgrades, but my set is fully CAC so I'm not willing to risk losing the bean.

@FlyingAl said:
    These are nice original Proofs, where I feel the grades for these are probably pretty solid (TPGs are good at hitting these the first time). I don't think you'll see a high percentage of upgrades, since they're not particularly colorful (you can see color bumps swing).

If the spreads are high, it might be worth a shot, but I wouldn't expect much.

I generally agree, and I value your opinion on these more than anyone. I will have to send the set for your photo service soon so you can check them out in-hand.

@1madman said:

No way! These are wonderfully original examples and I specifically sought out them out that way.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file