Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Simpson Registry Sets

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2024 12:24AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

It's disappointing that Simpson's pattern sets have not remained documented for all time. Instead, the set has remained active and coins have been removed as they were sold. Is there any way this damage coin be undone, either by PCGS or by Simpson himself?

I don't know about his other sets, but I presume it's the same story with those.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options

Are we talking about Homer's coins? Just kidding.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Simpson chose not to retire his sets there is nothing that can be done now if some of the coins were sold off

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    It's disappointing that Simpson's pattern sets have not remained documented for all time. Instead, the set has remained active and coins have been removed as they were sold. Is there any way this damage coin be undone, either by PCGS or by Simpson himself?

I don't know about his other sets, but I presume it's the same story with those.

How true ... I did note several pattern subsets that were 100% compete were saved as hall of fame even though they were sold off - I registered several of those pieces in my set.

I would think PCGS could easily restore the master pattern set for the Hall of Fame. What would be a nice option is if someone built a final reference catalog when all done with the high resolution photos. Would be a great start for an updated Judd reference book using Simpson as plate pieces.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@MrEureka said:

How true ... I did note several pattern subsets that were 100% compete were saved as hall of fame even though they were sold off - I registered several of those pieces in my set.

I would think PCGS could easily restore the master pattern set for the Hall of Fame. What would be a nice option is if someone built a final reference catalog when all done with the high resolution photos. Would be a great start for an updated Judd reference book using Simpson as plate pieces.

I would think Heritage can provide photos for most of Simpson's coins, for an updated Judd or whatever. But a registry set would be the best way to show off the set, and to the largest audience.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ... of note NGC CUSTOM pattern registry still has Simpson Amazon set displayed when they were in the NGC holders - even though they were crossed over to PCGS
    https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=1813