Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very old resurrected threads are good. Here is why.

New members join this forum all the time. IMO, there is enough important information on CU to fill a large best-seller with chapters on coin cleaning, etc.

I propose that a new thread be started (with a distinct title such as Oldies but True, Grave Diggers, etc ) by one of our older 5* members where everyone can post a link to the best threads from yesteryear that many have not seen. To save space, only the link and title of favorite discussions could be posted.

OR

Anyone can resurrect an old thread in a new discussion using the title "Favorite Posts."

What do you think?

Comments

  • GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 6:54PM

    Insider, I for one would LOVE to be able to bring back -- or even view -- old threads on market trends, grading trends, and discussions about popular coin series from Morgans to Saints to Small Denomination coins from 1900 onward. There's probably some very informative posts from back then which might have relevance today (i.e., grading standards) and other threads just interesting to read about.

    For instance....

    Was this board around back in 1998-2000 as gold was falling to $280/oz.....would be interesting to see if anybody said to back up the truck ?

    Ditto Saints back then....$450 for an MS-65, maybe $800 for an MS-66.....were people here buying or even saying they wish they had $$$ to buy or what ?

    We just came out of a major PCGS 3000 Index bear market in 2020....it lasted a decade....how did people cope ? Did people care ? Or maybe not, since it IS a hobby and folks may not have considered their $$$ in the coins an "investment."

    Gradeflation...I remember the famous (infamous ? :D ) Franklin Gradeflation Thread, maybe there were others with useful information ?

    CAC....would be interesting to read the threads on CAC back in 2008-10.

  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • mikee999mikee999 Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

    I bought 10 South African 1 Oz gold krugerrands @283 each in 2002.

  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Absolutely yes on the old threads!
    So what if some of the amazing current threads get bumped off page one?
    There will be another parking lot/cac thread along soon enough..😘

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like records. If it were possible I'd like to see a powerful information retrieval system where any information could be retrieved like someone with a photographic memory going back to when he was a youth. But it should not be morbid or without a constructive academic and scholarly purpose.

  • @mikee999 said:
    I bought 10 South African 1 Oz gold > krugerrands @283 each in 2002.

    Do you still have them?

  • mikee999mikee999 Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

    @Extremeengineer said:

    @mikee999 said:
    I bought 10 South African 1 Oz gold > krugerrands @283 each in 2002.

    Do you still have them?

    Yessss!

  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @braddick said:

    @JBK said:
    Leave it to the new guy to rock the boat. 🙄

    :D

    This song immediately began to sing in my head.

    Senior year of high school. Good times!!

  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tibor said:

    @braddick said:

    @JBK said:
    Leave it to the new guy to rock the boat. 🙄

    :D

    This song immediately began to sing in my head.

    Senior year of high school. Good times!!

    Trivia:
    There are many who believe this to be the first Disco song.

    peacockcoins

  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @braddick said:

    @Tibor said:

    @braddick said:

    @JBK said:
    Leave it to the new guy to rock the boat. 🙄

    :D

    This song immediately began to sing in my head.

    Senior year of high school. Good times!!

    Trivia:
    There are many who believe this to be the first Disco song.

    "When Will I See You Again" by the Three Degrees also has a strong claim to that privilege

  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's a little sad when you see all the posters who went to the great bourse in the sky.

  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jayPem said:
    Absolutely yes on the old threads!
    So what if some of the amazing current threads get bumped off page one?
    There will be another parking lot/cac thread along soon enough..😘

    Don't forget VaultBox! 😆

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I envision numismatic archeology in a digital library.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file