Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An interesting piece of Exonumia.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2024 6:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

While searching at eBay I came across the below pictured item which is interesting to me because it's the first time I've seen any "original packaging" for one of these small medals(HK-488). Though the box itself is flimsy it has held up over the decades pretty well and most likely spent a lot of that time in storage. From all appearances the medal has resided there the entire time, it looks quite pristine although the images are admittedly not the best. Maybe the most astonishing thing about this is the price: PCGS/NGC certified examples generally sell for around $2k give-or-take, this one lists for more than three times that. Apparently the seller places a lot of value on that box!! :p

If you've seen this sort of packaging before please chime in and if you have images of same that would be great. Thanks for your attention and have a nice day.

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the coin not the holder? I like the design.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Art Deco

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen original folders, envelopes, etc., issued with early commemorative coins, prior to 1955 or so. The seller does want a premium when the envelope/folder etc. is sold with the coin, but I don't believe anywhere near your example. Unfortunately, no photos.

• Options

I love the "Solid Gold" statement on a 10k gold piece :D

Dan
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllLincolns said:
    I love the "Solid Gold" statement on a 10k gold piece :D

Not a gold collector, but 1st thing I noticed also.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a similar piece in one of my EX sales sometime in the late 1990's -- I believe that it was imaged on the crappy photo pages. That piece was interesting in that it had Charbneau's autograph in the inside lid of the box.

I don't have Shevlin's book on the Charbneau $'s handy but IIRC there were also multiple item boxes issued for gold & silver sets, etc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file