Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts about this card. 1970 Topps Don Maynard.

What are your thoughts about this card? I won't go into detail until I have a couple opinions.

Comments

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Very nice. I would expect a grade 8 just based on the front.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom right corner "touched"? A few barely noticable print dots.
    Solid 8, could make a case got an 8.5.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I see no problem in an 8.
    Centered but has 5 small fisheyes.
    Maybe bottom right corner not all that sharp.
    Nice card.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

He should be wearing his helmet?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 6:57PM

I see 6 - 8 fisheyes in the black borders, and agree that the bottom-right corner looks maybe a bit soft.

It's accurately graded in my opinion.

Steve

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 8 appears to be the maximum for that card, but I certainly wouldn't have expected an 8 if I submitted it.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the opinions. This is a card I sold on ebay. My listings all have pictures that are expandable etc. and no returns are accepted. The buyer is using the "item not as described" excuse, claiming the card is faded. His uniform is Jets green and the football is a nice brown color. His complaint...

"The card is extremely faded. Especially on the front. It does not look nearly as good as the picture. I buy a lot of cards through eBay and I am very dissatisfied in this card. Please let me know how I can return this card for a full refund. Thank you."

After a back and forth with the buyer and ebay, they are letting him return the card. So, I am now assuming we can all start buying cards on approval and when you can't bump them to a higher grade just send them back, no matter what the seller has for settings.

BTW, this case is strictly buyer's remorse as he paid $90 for the card. If anyone needs to block the buyer just PM me.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the "buyer" is questioning PSA?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 6:35AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    So the "buyer" is questioning PSA?

Many do from time to time. Not always.
    I think the customer comes first, even when I totally disagree with them.
    It’s their money

• Options
    edited February 16, 2024 7:26AM

It is a blatant misuse of the "item not as described" guarantee. Ebay has eliminated the issue with cards over $250 that have to be sent to the authenticator, but cards like this at $90 it is still obviously the wild west.

• Options

This is the picture that the buyer submitted to ebay with the complaint.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭✭

Please share the buyer's name. I had something similar happen to me recently, for the first time.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

Basic ebay policy, been that way forever.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@gameusedhoop said:
    It is a blatant misuse of the "item not as described" guarantee. Ebay has eliminated the issue with cards over $250 that have to be sent to the authenticator, but cards like this at $90 it is still obviously the wild west.

eBay is in charge and looks like a coin flip to me. Good luck. Let me know how you make out. It is interesting and frustrating at the same time .

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see very much difference between the pics and it’s also clear that the lighting is different.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

He is standing over the card in his pictures causing a shadow. Mine is taken in a lightbox, if any of the pictures would look faded it would have been mine. The green is green and the football is brown there is no way it is "The card is extremely faded." as the buyer states.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2024 9:40AM

Take the return and move on.

eBay provides sellers with the ability to reach millions of potential buyers. This far outweighs the fact that once in a while you have to take something back that you "shouldn't".

Be glad your dealing with a small item, easy and cheap to ship.