Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

What happened to the (now defunct) PCGS - Currency Population Report?

PCGS Banknote Grading is fairly new, and seems not to publish its population info yet.

But It would certainly be useful data for currency collectors, dealers, and researchers to have access to info about the vast number of notes that were graded by the old PCGS - Currency company back in the day.

Anyone know if the final population report for (now defunct) PCGS - Currency graded notes is available anywhere?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only do I not know where it went, I also don’t know who owns the data.
    Does the data collected belong to Jason Bradford or PCGS ?

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Surely at least one person thought to scrape that data off the PCGS Currency website when it looked like that ship was about to go down…

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

I printed out the population reports for all of the fractionals before they disappeared. I'm sure that others did this also for their area of collecting.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Is the information available via the Wayback Machine (aka internet archive) at archive.org?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s alive and well - go to PCGS Cert Verification

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    It’s alive and well - go to PCGS Cert Verification

That only contains notes that have been slabbed since PCGS Banknote has been in existence though.

• Options

Yes that’s correct. As far as the other I guess that’s a question for our hosts.

• Options

What I wonder is what percent of the old PCGS-C graded notes still exist in their slabs. At this point is the census on T&P the best source of info for what PCGS-C notes are still around?

• Options

Many of the old holder notes still exist as seen them on bourse at shows.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:

Absolutely agree but I have to believe that a non-insignificant percentage of notes that were in the old PCGS-C registry now resides in different holders.

I know that I’ve crossed over my fair share to PMG. The ones still in PCGS-C holders that I have are only that way because it’s not worth the cost to send them in.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

@jeffas1974 said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Absolutely agree but I have to believe that a non-insignificant percentage of notes that were in the old PCGS-C registry now resides in different holders.

I know that I’ve crossed over my fair share to PMG. The ones still in PCGS-C holders that I have are only that way because it’s not worth the cost to send them in.

What value number did you use to determine a note was not worth crossing?

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

@TennisCoach said:

@jeffas1974 said:

@Cougar1978 said:

What value number did you use to determine a note was not worth crossing?

For me it was anything under $150. At that level the cost would be at least a third of the value of the note and I would be happier buying a similarly graded note in a PMG holder and either having 2 examples or selling the PCGS one. YMMV based upon the quantity and types of notes that are being sent to cross-over though.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 7:22AM

How did the PCGS-C notes do on crossover - grade about the same, vary up or down etc? I submit notes to our hosts. They sell well on the bourse.

• Options

It's just a handful, but my data points for crossover have all been at par with the old PCGS-C grade. Of note, I did not cut any of them out of the original holders when sending them in.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I bought most of my collection (early large size US) from 2012 to 2020. About half PMG, other half PCGS-C.
    No particular inclination to spend money at this time crossing any of them.