Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA FedEx Shipments to Canada

Has anyone else has a recent delivery to Canada? I got dinged with taxes/duties for the first time ever. This was on a small 15-card re-holder order.

I thought it was strange, so I contacted FedEx. They replied quickly and told me the following:

**1st line CDN good being returned; HS# 9813.00.00.92or 9814.00.00.92 (depend on origin declared on the invoice), GST exemption 66. Regulatory folks had been contacted and educated shipper to complete their invoice properly. Hopefully shipper will provide original value of the card. If shipper didn’t provide original value, please enter $1.00 USD.

2nd line HS# 3926.90.99.90, with appraisal value. Regular GST/HST/PST apply.

This is how sports cards are now rated.**

I specifically asked to clarify if this is something new and was told: "This is a new directive, so the way it was done previously is now redundant."

It seems PSA has to make some revisions to how they create their invoices for customs when shipping here.

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes Canada is collecting on everything at the border. Tax should only be on the added value, cost of grading. But they screw this up.

• Options

I hope PSA can fill out the forms correctly to avoid this.

Alternatively, has anyone tried going through the PSA Canada site for orders? I wonder if that helps.

• Options
    DanS832DanS832 Posts: 44 ✭✭

Hi this happened to be twice in the last few weeks. I pad about $30.00 each time in duties. I wrote to PSA as it never happened before. No answer back it was 2 days ago. I explained they need to mark the paperwork correct the value of goods for insurance is not the customs value. The customs value is zero dollars as I own the cards.

• Options

@DanS832 said:
    Hi this happened to be twice in the last few weeks. I pad about $30.00 each time in duties. I wrote to PSA as it never happened before. No answer back it was 2 days ago. I explained they need to mark the paperwork correct the value of goods for insurance is not the customs value. The customs value is zero dollars as I own the cards.

I will try to reach them too. Let us know if you get a reply back from them.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2024 2:22PM

One of the reasons I have yet to send anything to get graded to the USA. Not saying I will not but the possibility of been taxed sucks.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you not contact customs and show proof to them and get a refund?

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    DanS832DanS832 Posts: 44 ✭✭

The problem is that fedex is acting as your agent for customs. I have sent a message to fedex with no answer. I might be able to claim it thru borders and customs - but paperwork involved. It was filled out properly before by PSA so PSA should continue with the old way. Something has changed in the shipping department. Fedex is notorious for custom charges. UPS is better coming back from USA but PSA uses Fedex.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beckett also uses fedex.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

There is a PSA Canada... and reason why ppl are not using them? I was considering a submission.

• Options

Nevermind... I see they just foward to the US. Thankfully, I have a US address I can use for forwarding (friend).... has saved me a ton

• Options

I think it still might be worth trying PSA Canada. Maybe with their volumes of shipments they receive, they will pay attention and make the necessary adjustments on the shipping end. The PSA Canada office will certainly be aware if they are getting flooded suddenly with duties/taxes on all the shipments.

I've only looked briefly at their site, but the submission process looks a little primitive at this point. Hopefully they will make it easier and more automated in the future.

• Options
    PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Not sure if fedex has a similar option but someone sent me this link to avoid ups charges

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-avoid-broker-fees-just-in-time-for-online-xmas-shopping/

• Options

I finally got an answer and its not much of an answer. I cant remember if USPS is an option to ship back it will be slower but I am sure no fees. Here is the PSA answer, not sure if the person knows what they are talking about or not. As why are they putting the value so high should be the cost of the service then:

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contacting PSA Customer Care. My name is Austina and I'll be glad to assist you today.

I know it must be frustrating to see increased costs on your international order. I'm sorry for these unexpected changes to shipping.

I have reached out to our shipping department and these increased costs are indeed due to new Canadian customs fees and not due to any type of error on the part of FedEx or the PSA shipping department. Currently, we have made a connection that Canadian customs differentiate fees between encapsulated cards and raw cards.

Our shipping department is starting a dialog with Canadian customs to figure out the specific breakdown of these costs so that we can give customers accurate estimates for the new expected Canadian customs fees based on how many items are encapsulated in an order.

Thank you for using PSA for your submission. I hope this information has clarified the changes in your shipping costs. If you have any more issues or concerns please feel free to reach out to us again.

Thank you,
    Austin
    Customer Care

• Options

I have now posed the question to border services about this if its true and whats changed.

• Options

@DanS832 said:
    I have now posed the question to border services about this if its true and whats changed.

Thanks for following up on this. It's good that PSA at least is aware of this and talking to them.

Let us know what you hear back from border services! This is going to really suck if we can't avoid getting dinged with charges when we receive our cards back.

• Options

Border Agency answer, after reading this I think PSA is not filing out the paperwork correct, I will forward to PSA:

Canadian Goods Returned

Based upon the details provided in your enquiry the subject reimport may qualify as Canadian Goods Returned. As such they would be duty and tax exempt. Please ensure the shipper, and broker, are informed of your shipment details so the goods may be afforded any remission that they are eligible for. The following is provided in general context only.

Canadian goods that are returning to Canada after being temporarily exported that have not been advanced in value or improved in condition by any process of manufacture or other means, or combined with any other article abroad may qualify for duty free entry and exempt from the goods and services tax. Businesses are required to substantiate their claim for relief of duty and/or taxes by providing documents that prove that the returned goods in question originated from Canada. The term “originated from Canada” refers to both domestic products and to previously imported, duty-paid products returning to Canada. Where possible, the CBSA has attempted to align its documentation requirements for proof of Canadian origin with existing commercial documents. The commercial documents must describe the goods in sufficient detail to enable CBSA officers to verify that the goods exported were the same as the goods returning to Canada and are of Canadian origin. The claimant can add to these commercial documents, any other information useful to the officer such as make, model, serial number, and the reason for returning the goods to the Canadian vendor. For further information please see CBSA Memorandum D20-1-4, Proof of Export, Canadian Ownership, and Destruction of Commercial Goods.

Shipping Instructions for Returns to Canada

The foreign based sender should complete the shipping declaration to include a description of the goods, their value, and the wording “Canadian Goods Returned”. The shipment should also include a copy of the Canadian company’s invoice supporting that the goods were originally shipped from Canada, as well as any transportation company documents detailing the original export from Canada. Where possible, the CBSA has attempted to align its documentation requirements for proof of Canadian origin with existing commercial documents. The commercial documents must describe the goods in sufficient detail to enable CBSA officers to verify that the goods in fact are returning to Canada.

Import Accounting

When importing commercial goods the importer of record or their agent (e.g. Canadian licensed customs broker) is required to present commercial entry documents to the CBSA at the CBSA port of release to account for the goods and to pay any applicable duties and taxes. This documentation must be in accordance with the requirements set out in CBSA Memorandum D17-1-4, Release of Commercial Goods. Self-clearance by importers for commercial shipments is possible by the importer presenting the required clearance documents, in person, to the CBSA port of release (the closest CBSA office to where the goods are located).

The CBSA provides resources on the Commercial Import section of our website to assist businesses with importing goods into Canada. The CBSA also provides the guide Importing Commercial Goods into Canada (BSF5079) which describes the documents you need to submit to the CBSA to import commercial goods into Canada and highlights the information you need from each document to complete the accounting form B3-3, Canada Customs Coding Form. Your clearance entry must include a form CI1, Canada Customs Invoice (or the commercial invoice that contains the data). For information on Canada Customs Invoice requirements, refer to CBSA Memorandum D1-4-1, CBSA Invoice Requirements. For detailed information, CBSA Memorandum D17-1-10, Coding of Customs Accounting Documents, describes various forms of accounting documentation and gives instructions for their completion. The CBSA also provides an instructional video on importing commercial goods into Canada.

An example of a self clearance Form B3-3 import accounting document for Canadian Goods Returned is shown in Example 28 of Appendix B to CBSA Memorandum D17-1-10.

Refund Request

If you chose to accept delivery and pay the assessed duty and taxes when the item is delivered to you, you may apply for a refund. You may request a refund of the duty and taxes paid based on the proof that these are Canadian goods that have not been advanced in value or improved in condition by any process of manufacturing or other means. Commercial self-adjustments must be filed on Form B2, Canada Customs Adjustment Request. Please refer to CBSA Memorandum D17-2-1, The Coding, Submission and Processing of Form B2 Canada Customs Adjustment Request, which contains instructions for the completion, submission and processing of Form B2 to be followed by importers/agents when requesting adjustments to commercial transactions. When requesting a refund you must attach to form B2 complete and accurate documentation in support of your claim. Additional CBSA Information on commercial refunds is available in CBSA Memorandum D6-2-3, Refund of Duties.

Importing by Mail or Courier

For importing by mail or courier additional information please see CBSA Memorandums D5-1-1, International Mail Processing and D17-4-0, Courier Low Value Shipment Program. Although the CBSA assesses duty and taxes on international packages arriving in Canada you can now pay your duty and taxes to the Canada Post Corporation (CPC) online instead of at the time of delivery.

For information regarding non-mailable matter or customs requirements that may affect your international mail shipment please visit the CPC website.

• Options

“Canadian goods that are returning to Canada after being temporarily exported that have not been advanced in value or improved in condition by any process of manufacture or other means, or combined with any other article abroad may qualify for duty free entry and exempt from the goods”

Hard to argue PSA isn’t adding any value. The question is should tax (duty doesn’t apply due to NAFTA) be applied to the cost of services, the value add, or the total value of the cards post grading. I think the services rendered should be the only thing in scope for tax, would be insane to pay tax on the full value or the cards returned.

• Options

I think the comments there are consistent with what FedEx told me in that they said the sender needs to fill out the paperwork correctly due to the new rules.

The PSA adding value thing is really subjective, I believe. In my case or simply doing re-holders and getting charged for that, I can definitely argue that no actual value was added. At most, it's probably very minimal.

• Options

New response from PSA - seems like they are scrambling to figure this out. I still dont think they know what they are doing as the situation keeps changes. Not talking about increased value anymore.
    I have three recent orders I have paid customs fees on I will submit them to border services for a refund. Border services have been good when I have had other problems - recently got a cheque back for $39.59 for a ebay return I was charged customs when I owned the property - basically the same situation. Turn around was about 3 weeks.
    I will submit these order tonight I paid $26.97 + $26.10 + $22.05:

Hello Dan,

I can provide you with the available solutions for international shipping listed below:

First Option:
    If you want to reduce or avoid paying customs fees, You may use the "Customs Specific Instructions" form attached to this email. You will have to release PSA or PSA/DNA of all liability for any possible customs penalties and fines occurring from a personal declaration provided with your order's total value.

By including the Customs SI form attached to your submission form you are agreeing you understand current Canadian customs fees and understand you will incur all penalties and fees for not adhering to these import laws. PSA will declare the value of your shipment as the amount you request on this form.

Second Option:
    Canadian Customs will review a refund request if you would like to dispute the fees for your order. They will make their determination to honor your refund:

Refund Request

If you chose to accept delivery and pay the assessed duty and taxes when
    the item is delivered to you, you may apply for a refund. You may request
    a refund of the duty and taxes paid based on the proof that these are
    Canadian goods that have not been advanced in value or improved in
    condition by any process of manufacturing or other means. Commercial
    self-adjustments must be filed on Form B2, Canada Customs Adjustment
    Request. Please refer to CBSA Memorandum D17-2-1, The Coding, Submission
    and Processing of Form B2 Canada Customs Adjustment Request, which
    contains instructions for the completion, submission and processing of
    Form B2 to be followed by importers/agents when requesting adjustments to
    commercial transactions. When requesting a refund you must attach to form
    B2 complete and accurate documentation in support of your claim.
    Additional CBSA Information on commercial refunds is available in CBSA
    Memorandum D6-2-3, Refund of Duties.

• Options

Form PSA sent me to submit with future orders.

• Options

I think thats correct there is minimal value added

• Options

Guys I hate tax as much as the next guy but good luck with the argument that there is little value added. I mean why would we pay so much, and wait so long, if there was no value add?

A fair policy would be to charge tax on services rendered. So tax on the grading fees.

• Options
    MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Well, my 42-card sports special got dinged again with these taxes. I had to pay $123.14 today. I can't tell what amount they are exactly taxing though. It seems to be a ballpark amount of what the GST would be on my grading fees.

To make things worse, It was supposed to receive it today. It seems to have gotten delayed though, so now I have to wait the weekend until Monday. 😭 I wish FedEx delivered on weekends here.

I might try the PSA Canada option next time. It does mention on their site "We securely package and ship your orders through customs and ensure you do not have any other fees to pay." However, they do already charge GST on the grading prices, so maybe it's just a wash doing it this way?

• Options

Paying tax on the grading fees seems fair, I’d be happy working that.

• Options

I connected to the forum specifically for this reason. Grading back from Beckett. About 120$ fees. Indeed, it will be hard to argue that the grading process is not adding value since it's the exact reason I send them the raw cards. On top of that, it seems to be related to the service fees which is fair. I'll try to go through PSA Canada for my next submission. Will report back. If anyone already did it, don't hesitate to tag me.