Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Calculator for Banknote grading

Anyone know of Banknote Grading Calculator either online or phone app? It would be nice to have since grading is so confusing at least for novice. I see there are some such apps for coin grading on Apple store, but none for banknote collector :(

Came across this video on youtube, quite useful:

https://youtu.be/8zyQYL4Jkxw

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of Banknote Grading Calculator either online or phone app? It would be nice to have since grading is so confusing at least for novice.

Not that I know of (& I can't imagine trusting an app over an expert). I like the video (fairly comprehensive)
    Re: grading banknotes
    -you just got to do it (A LOT). Over & over again & accept the fact that you will get it wrong (from time to time) & self-correct. I used to take a stack (100) out & try to grade about half of the stack. It really helps if you have a collector buddy so you can run it by him (or her). A 2nd set of eyes are HUGE. Figure out what you do incorrectly (forget to check how well -centred, use a side light, check the corners, etc)? And like posting (or acquiring) keep at it (try to be consistent).

• Options

I think it would be difficult for an automated app or program to grade notes by images. I think the paper has to be felt and inspected closely to determine an accurate grade.

• Options

@GeyerCoinAuctions said:
    I think it would be difficult for an automated app or program to grade notes by images. I think the paper has to be felt and inspected closely to determine an accurate grade.

This has been one of the biggest impediments for our hobby taking off: buying online (sight unseen). You get a scan but most scans don't really tell the whole story. A lot of scans with poor contrast can hide how circulated a note really is. I just see no future in an app.

Learn to grade!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 11:52AM

I wonder How would such a device would sense banknote beautiful bold color? I don’t doubt at sometime a banknote grading AI will be developed. Perhaps a self grading holder.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

If a scanner wasn't light (but used sound/echos) perhaps it could detect irregularities in paper?