Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some New Additions

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's is a certain different charm about this denomination compared to the 8 Reales. It's almost like the same design on a smaller canvas results in a different "flavor" or look and feel.

Original, lightly circulated and problem-free examples, like these, are always a pleasure to view.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff! Will you be adding the 1760 Ferd version as well? I think it’s cool getting a posthumous coin. They were minting without even knowing the guy had passed away, it was a different world.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:
    Cool stuff! Will you be adding the 1760 Ferd version as well? I think it’s cool getting a posthumous coin. They were minting without even knowing the guy had passed away, it was a different world.

I just bought the lot, it was avail, and give it a try, those 4 coins were there and as we know at least on this level of condition and raw are not available for sale or do not show up too often.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and crusty

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question, but I don't know the answer. How can you tell the denomination on the 18th C coins you posted? Size?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:
    Probably a stupid question, but I don't know the answer. How can you tell the denomination on the 18th C coins you posted? Size?

These are small coins.

The 1 Real 1791- 20mm
    The 1/2 Real 1781 - 17.2 mm - Pillar type 1760 - 16 mm - 1756 - 16.5 mm

• Options
    edited February 6, 2024 5:09PM

@ajaan said:

The 1/2R pillars don’t say anything on the back, the 1, 2, 4 and 8 do. Denoted by a number on the shield side.

With the portraits it varies a little I think (this says 1R) but mostly the same thing, it’s located near the rim however.

• Options

Nice @ELuis ! I don’t have the date, let alone the variety!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick-up ELuis!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@ELuis said:
    Went to pickup this one today:
    1762/1 JM 1/2 Real Lima

Is that a rim ding or a flan crack?

• Options

@SimonW said:

Flan crack.

• Options

@ELuis said:

@SimonW said:

Flan crack.

Cool

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 8:53AM

1879Mo M 25 Centavos Mintage:

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 8:50AM

1888Go R 25 Centavos Mintage: 312,000

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 8:52AM

1887Cn M 50 Centavos Mintage: 76,000

• Options

1889Mo M 25 Centavos Mintage: 132,000

• Options

Wow. These are so cool. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a club in Minnesota where people are into these older and international coins...most of the folks at my club trade/sell/collect American.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 10:50AM

@SimonW said:

Will you be adding the 1760 Ferd version as well?

Can you post an image or more info for this coin?

Edit: I see what you mean, is to add this type;

Since mine is, CarlosIII:

10-4

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 3:30PM

@ELuis

Yes, that’s correct. Evidently when Ferdinand VI passed away August of 1759, news didn't reach the new world for quite some time. During that timespan they were issuing coinage under his name (1760) posthumously, but unaware. Later, when news reached the americas, they reissued dies for Carlos III. So in 1760 you can find both versions for most mints and denominations that were actively minting. I guess if you wanted to get REALLY technical, some of the coins dated 1759 are also posthumous minted coins, but nobody can tell which ones...so only the Ferdinand VI coins from 1760 are considered posthumous.

One exception is the 1/2 real from the Peruvian mint, which is purported to exist, it was recorded in a few references, but hasn't really been seen since the world went full-on-web ("full-on-web" and "FOW" are registered trademarks of SimonWInc. ;))

There is a good chance, and it would make sense, that the Peruvian 1/2 exists as well, since it would have been issued along with the other denominations. Reasons we may not be seeing them is 1. They hadn't gotten to the minting of the 1/2 real until after the news came of the king's demise. 2. They hadn't yet been released into the wild and were melted. 3. The quantity minted was so low that none or very few survive. 4. He-who-shall-not-be-named collector/dealer has been quietly squirreling them away for decades, maybe even generations. 5. It's a conspiracy...probably aliens.

• Options

I apologize in advance @ELuis, I believe English is not your primary language and my sarcastic comments might fall a little flat for you, sorry. :D

• Options

Thanks for the info and no problem :smile:

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eluis, I love the coins you posted. Great to see when people appreciate not only top-graded coins, invariably encapsulated, but also more worn coins which saw everyday use by the population in Mexico and Lima, and beyond. Your tastes are very similar to mine, except I focus on Santiago, and partly also Lima.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2024 3:54PM

Just want to comment, about the first four coins images that I posted, I bought them on FEB.5.2024 and got the confirmation, that your order is confirmed. Then I came here and posted the coins images.

The transaction was flagged as a potential fraud, but without knowing this, I went and did two more transactions on another two sites on FEB.08.2024, from these two, one of the coins it is now on my PoBox, the other is in transit.

The merchant provider that they use, tried to contact me and simple got like four voicemails, that you can simple hear some one doing a hang down or in other words zero message. I have done some transactions with them before.

We did a check and the transaction was cleared.

Got an email today that they will be doing the shipping and that will got the tracking number (after eight days as today), and they will include an extra coin as a bonus, I do not mind that bonus, I just want the coins I added on my order, so will see.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Just got the tracking# today.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2024 9:30AM

I went to pick up the package yesterday, the four coins were there, have them now!.

• Options

Nice! Good to see that they showed up.

• Options

Now what will be next?

I have now several 1/2R or/and other ones way too small coins, guess it is time to find some other ones 2R - 4R - 8R

Or maybe also some Italian coins - in example from Naples - Looking at two now that I like...

• Options

Time to start the search for a Carlos & Joanna 3 reales!

• Options

@threefifty said:
    Time to start the search for a Carlos & Joanna 3 reales!

Seriously, last one that auctioned at Stacks showed me I wouldn’t be adding a problem free one of those to my collection…😳

• Options

...Carlos & Joanna 3 reales

Just a quick search show up one sold on SB - not cheap et-al. So it is out of the list.

• Options
    edited February 29, 2024 2:19PM

Just added this one:

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 4:20PM

@ELuis said:
    Just added this one:

Went yesterday to pickup the mail & this Ducat, in hand looks way better!

Here are the pictures of the coin in hand:

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 4:22PM

Just added this one:

Edit to add: I had some raw coins from Italy in the past, that end up selling, some years ago maybe 3+ i bought an small lot of 1/2 reales, and back then a 1 Lire Naples was avail for less than $100 bucks, that did not bought, it was in perfect condition and also a great blue toning, I went back to buy it but was gone. Have found one in a similar condition but graded and now to me expensive. So added something different to my current type of coins, and been looking into another from Naples but with Napoleon, I think will be my next one from Italy.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 4:25PM

Added this one: