Home U.S. Coin Forum

How much premium is attached to a 108 series rattler?

I saw a MS 65 Walker in a rattler holder common date starting with the serial number 1086. Nice coin. Is it worth a substantial premium? If so approximately how much is it worth? Thanks for your reply’s.

Best Answer

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that this seems to be done with it would be interesting if some more people would comment on the intent of the original thread to explain if other numbers besides 1080*** and 10801*** which I believe were the white 108 rattlers are still very valuable. Perhaps Mr. Feld you could comment if you feel like it

While I’m far from being the resource @MFeld is to this forum, this link might be very informative:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/977463/the-official-pcgs-white-label-rattler-census-71-listed-as-of-11-22-19/p1

The white label rattlers (gen 1.0 and 1.1) 1080xxx, 1081xxx and even the low 1082xxx are extremely rare and as a result, very valuable.

Over the past several years, the early 108 1.2 gen rattlers (1082xxx - 1089xxx) have increased dramatically in value. For example, I sold a 1082xxx gen 1.2 rattler for $650 last fall. It contained a $75 Franklin.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Answers

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 11:47AM

Disclaimer: This post is for educational purposes only and is not intended to discredit any person, real or fictional.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166570648770

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2024 6:39PM

Not bidding just curious to know. Coin looks attractive Didn’t understand why it is bid so high

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

No clue on value, but I don't think those are worth nearly as much as the 1080xxx generation.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2024 7:26PM

@DeplorableDan said:
    No clue on value, but I don't think those are worth nearly as much as the 1080xxx generation.

The 108 first gen used to be the only ones with a decent premium. Over the last few years as those first gen holders increased exponentially, the gen 1.2 (more common) rattlers with the 108 have gained steam too. They used to have no premium beyond that of a standard rattler but now bring more than the Walker shown above (I've seen some get close to 1k for a common coin).

@U1chicago said:

@DeplorableDan said:

The 108 first gen used to be the only ones with a decent premium. Over the last few years as those first gen holders increased exponentially, the gen 1.2 (more common) rattlers with the 108 have gained steam too. They used to have no premium beyond that of a standard rattler but now bring more than the Walker shown above (I've seen some get close to 1k for a common coin).

Wondering if some bidders are thinking gold sticker chance?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I just bought it!

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Congrats

edited February 4, 2024 3:59PM

@Walkerlover said:

@U1chicago said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Wondering if some bidders are thinking gold sticker chance?

Someone could be but the holders tend to bring a premium regardless if they have potential to green or gold sticker.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

No it is the coin itself on its own merits that determines a premium.

Coins & Currency
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like real estate its location location...........the coin, the coin, the coin ie never the plastic

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    Like real estate its location location...........the coin, the coin, the coin ie never the plastic

I’m not sure if you are kidding or not, but some collectors definitely pay for the holder (or the sticker). 108 rattlers sell for a premium. Regency holders and NGC black holders sell for thousands of dollars no matter what coin is inside.

Looks like the seller cancelled the auction, I guess we'll never know now.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

No the auction is not cancelled. He was pretending like he bought it which was impossible as it was an actual no reserve auction. (Stunad)

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

No the auction is not cancelled. He was pretending like he bought it which was impossible as it was an actual no reserve auction. (Stunad)

Check eBay and see for yourself...

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Please let us know if you get a gold CAC sticker.

edited February 3, 2024 10:32AM

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

It was still there yesterday. Someone manipulated the EBay site, as all the rattler half dollars from this seller disappeared. I think it’s unethical you buying it off the information which I posted but did not post the actual coin.
    I think my EBay account was hacked, as all those Walkers disappeared from my watchlist and recently viewed

Who are you accusing of being unethical? And who would have hacked your eBay account?

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

It was still there yesterday. Someone manipulated the EBay site, as all the rattler half dollars from this seller disappeared. I think it’s unethical you buying it off the information which I posted but did not post the actual coin.
    I think my EBay account was hacked, as all those Walkers disappeared from my watchlist and recently viewed

Who are you accusing of being unethical? And who would have hacked your eBay account?

You for posting the actual coin and buying it, or contacting the seller and having it removed from my EBay watchlist

edited February 3, 2024 10:45AM

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

You for posting the actual coin and buying it, or contacting the seller and having it removed from my EBay watchlist. All his auction listings are gone from my EBay account. How is that possible. Something was done by you against me. All this sellers coins gone from my watchlist and recently viewed list since this thread was messed up by you posting the actual coin. How are all these auction listings gone suddenly

What evidence do you have for these accusations? How would you know what I have or haven't bought? And how could I remove eBay listings or remove items from your eBay watchlist?

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

You for posting the actual coin and buying it, or contacting the seller and having it removed from my EBay watchlist. All his auction listings are gone from my EBay account. How is that possible. Something was done by you against me. All this sellers coins gone from my watchlist and recently viewed list since this thread was messed up by you posting the actual coin. How are all these auction listings gone suddenly

What evidence do you have for these accusations? How would you know what I have or haven't bought? And how could I remove eBay listings or remove items from your eBay watchlist?

You must have contacted the seller as all his coins disappeared from my site suddenly since you took it upon yourself to post the actual coin.

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Okay you must have contacted the seller as all his ongoing auction coins are gone from my watchlist, approximately 5 I was looking at. Poof all of a sudden vanished since you posted the actual coin on my thread.

You've just repeated your accusation without any evidence. Seems a bit silly...

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@RobertScotLover said:

I’m not sure if you are kidding or not, but some collectors definitely pay for the holder (or the sticker). 108 rattlers sell for a premium. Regency holders and NGC black holders sell for thousands of dollars no matter what coin is inside.

I agree…..go look at the BOX and certificate of authenticity for the V75 Privy Gold Eagle…..$800 for the slabbed COA and $700 for the original box on two separate eBay auctions…..😳🤔😉

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Okay you must have contacted the seller as all his ongoing auction coins are gone from my watchlist, approximately 5 I was looking at. Poof all of a sudden vanished since you posted the actual coin on my thread.

How is it possible for 5 auction listings to dissapear suddenly from my EBay watch list? Did the seller suddenly remove all of them. I don’t even see them in my recently viewed list. Somehow the seller took action against me after you posted the listing

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

This is WAY over the line. eBay is an open marketplace. If you don't want to bring attention to a coin you are interested in, stop posting them here before you buy them. And yes, just information is enough.

I try to be understanding but you do the exact same thing every single week.

I said I wasn’t bidding just wanted to know if the 108 series was valuable for my own information

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

How is it possible for 5 auction listings to dissapear suddenly from my EBay watch list? Did the seller suddenly remove all of them. I don’t even see them in my recently viewed list. Somehow the seller took action against me after you posted the listing

It's not a conspiracy, I cant see any of the seller's listings now either.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

So you are saying that this is all a coincidence since he posted the actual coin. The coins are even gone from my recently viewed list. I will contact EBay.

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

So you are saying that this is all a coincidence since he posted the actual coin. The coins are even gone from my recently viewed list. I will contact EBay. All I did was ask a question about the 108 series for my own information to learn, I wasn’t even bidding

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

This is WAY over the line. eBay is an open marketplace. If you don't want to bring attention to a coin you are interested in, stop posting them here before you buy them. And yes, just information is enough.

I said I wasn’t bidding just wanted to know if the 108 series was valuable for my own information

Then why would you say:

I think it’s unethical you buying it off the information which I posted but did not post the actual coin.

It's very clearly not even in the realm of unethical but what do you care? If you aren't bidding?

@DeplorableDan said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Someone either made an offer to the seller that he liked (technically frowned upon when an auction already has bids), someone reported the listing (not sure why as there was nothing wrong), or eBay’s algorithms took down the listings for some reason (likely incorrectly).

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Then why would you say:

I think it’s unethical you buying it off the information which I posted but did not post the actual coin.

It's very clearly not even in the realm of unethical but what do you care? If you aren't bidding?

You’re a tough crowd. All I asked was a simple question about the 108 series. I saw the common date 1940 bid at $500 and I thought this was strange. THATS ALL. I was NEVER INTERESTED OR INTENDING TO BID. I ASKED A GENERAL QUESTION AND IKE T ALL OF A SUDDEN FELT A NEED TO POST THE ACTUAL LISTING. I FEEL THAT IS UNETHICAL

@DeplorableDan said:
    Well that's rather odd. Did this thread cause a ripple in the space-time ebay continuum?

All hell broke loose. All I did was post a simple innocent question. Ike T has it in for me. He is totally against me. As soon as I posted the question he is investigating and searching EBay. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE AND UNETHICAL

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Then why would you say:

You’re a tough crowd. All I asked was a simple question about the 108 series. I saw the common date 1940 bid at $500 and I thought this was strange. THATS ALL. I was NEVER INTERESTED OR INTENDING TO BID. I ASKED A GENERAL QUESTION AND IKE T ALL OF A SUDDEN FELT A NEED TO POST THE ACTUAL LISTING. I FEEL THAT IS UNETHICAL

It's rare to say this because feelings are like opinions, everyone is entitled. But here, this time, your feelings are wrong 🤷

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Then why would you say:

It's rare to say this because feelings are like opinions, everyone is entitled. But here, this time, your feelings are wrong 🤷

Why I can’t post a normal question about the 108 series without having detective Ike T scouring the internet looking for something nefarious that he thinks I am doing, and then posting the actual coin for no apparent reason except to disparage and discredit me. He is ACTING UNETHICAL AND MEAN.

that "looked everywhere" means ebay nuked the auction. they usually do this for ToS violations.

it is as the seller said, ebay nuked his listings, not him cancelling them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    that "looked everywhere" means ebay nuked the auction. they usually do this for ToS violations.

it is as the seller said, ebay nuked his listings, not him cancelling them.

Please explain ToS violation? Thanks

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@lermish said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Then why would you say:

Why I can’t post a normal question about the 108 series without having detective Ike T scouring the internet looking for something nefarious that he thinks I am doing, and then posting the actual coin for no apparent reason except to disparage and discredit me. He is ACTING UNETHICAL AND MEAN.

You may think it's mean, I can't dispute that.

But it is not unethical in any fashion and it's offensive for you to say as much.

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    Well that's rather odd. Did this thread cause a ripple in the space-time ebay continuum?

All hell broke loose. All I did was post a simple innocent question. Ike T has it in for me. He is totally against me. As soon as I posted the question he is investigating and searching EBay. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE AND UNETHICAL

You started a thread about a coin, so I posted the coin. I fail to see how that is unethical. You said you don't even want the coin. The seller says that eBay removed his listings. So what are you still blaming me for, exactly?

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

You started a thread about a coin, so I posted the coin. I fail to see how that is unethical. You said you don't even want the coin. The seller says that eBay removed his listings. So what are you still blaming me for, exactly?

I started a thread about the 108 series ONLY NOT ABOUT ANY SPECIFIC COIN. I wanted an answer to my question only. I don’t understand why on earth you felt the need to post and expose that specific coin, except to discredit me.

edited February 3, 2024 11:44AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    ps there is an unwritten concept: don't post about open auctions. this thread should never have been asked about before... if not interested wait some amount of time for the coin to probably arrive to the buyer, or if you won the auction then wait until it is in hand.

but if you were never interested how did he hurt you? he would have hurt those wanting to win it.

I asked a general question only. He posted the actual auction coin not me. How did I post an actual auction coin Ike T exposed the coin. What is the ToS violation?

I didn’t even post the full PCGS serial number. Many 108 coins can have a 6 after it

ToS violation: Terms of Service... the ebay rules.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file