Home U.S. Coin Forum

Something truly unusual from Chase bank today...Ike rolls

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

$630 of Ikes.
All vintage wrappers and each with the year written on it.
The branch manager let me know she got them during the week and held on to them for me.

The customer told her that her grandfather passed away recently and left them for her.
Going through them tonight...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭

    That looks like a heavy bag! Cool find. Maybe you'll find a 40% S mint in there.

    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool, hope you find some 40%ers

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Way cool, I hope you get some type 2s on the 72s. Happy hunting 👍

  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I had nearly an entire collection dump this way, including the proof coins! Hope you have fun!

  • MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2024 10:26AM

    I had a lot of fun with bags of Ikes ten or more years ago. I think the coins were not counted, but weighed. Most bags, nominally 500, did have 500 but there were a couple 499s and some 501s. The outlier had 608 coins because about half of them were small dollars and SBAs bringing the bag up to full weight. Along the way one bag had 20 Morgans and Peace dollars in it. Also there were many silver Ikes, several proofs, and a few counterfeits. I never complained. It was a dark day when my supply was terminated.
    I saved the very best condition coins. After some time I noticed that 1976 P Type 1 dollars were by far the scarcest of all the dates and mints. So I bought many BU rolls of them on ebay. Nine of them, all less than $30. each, and one was actually less than face value. They all have bright golden color; I still have them.

  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looking forward to the follow up post and photos. Nice score and all the reason to have personal relationships at the bank.

  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fun for the weekend!

    Vplite99
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great score - have fun searching!

  • goldengolden Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Have fun.

  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Save the paper rolls, they're tough to find (at least for free) these days.

    Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You did great on the halves!

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Might wanna hold on to that 1979 ike. Should be worth at least six figures. :)

  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Something truly unusual would be rolls of seated dollars... ❤️

  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1madman said:
    Might wanna hold on to that 1979 ike. Should be worth at least six figures. :)

    Did Dan Carr slip one in circulation :D
    I'm sitting on about 600 Ikes.
    Unsearched that my father picked up over the years.
    I keep thinking about listing a couple of 200/300 lots on THebay, seems people are still paying a slight premium over face.
    That or I'm still looking for a dollar slot machine.

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rte592 said:
    " I keep thinking about listing a couple of 200/300 lots on THebay, seems people are still paying a slight premium over face.
    That or I'm still looking for a dollar slot machine."

    Might want to go with the slot machine. 200 Ikes is about 10 pounds shipping weight :#

  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rte592 said:

    @1madman said:
    Might wanna hold on to that 1979 ike. Should be worth at least six figures. :)

    Did Dan Carr slip one in circulation :D
    I'm sitting on about 600 Ikes.
    Unsearched that my father picked up over the years.
    I keep thinking about listing a couple of 200/300 lots on THebay, seems people are still paying a slight premium over face.
    That or I'm still looking for a dollar slot machine.

    1979 Ike is TV movie.

    Vplite99
  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @vplite99 said:

    @rte592 said:

    @1madman said:
    Might wanna hold on to that 1979 ike. Should be worth at least six figures. :)

    Did Dan Carr slip one in circulation :D
    I'm sitting on about 600 Ikes.
    Unsearched that my father picked up over the years.
    I keep thinking about listing a couple of 200/300 lots on THebay, seems people are still paying a slight premium over face.
    That or I'm still looking for a dollar slot machine.

    1979 Ike is TV movie.

    I did say 1979 didn't I lol. Must've been the wine talking :D

    Coins are Neato!

    "If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file