Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Counterfeit Austria gold on Ebay- please report

I am by no means the expert on world gold but I saw this posted on someones story and figured I'd lend a hand in getting it removed. Slab looks pretty good at first pass, but when you pull up the cert it says "possible counterfeit". Looking at the coin, the legend lettering looks mushy and has discrepancies between the coin on the cert page, assuming die transfer counterfeit. Also the orientation of the reverse is shifted, and the Ebay coin doesnt appear to exhibit the same amount of contrast. Ebay seller with 0 feedback from Poland :# . Active bids, lets get this one removed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305378539486

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2780168-001/65/

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

eBay do not care. The law enforcement agencies do not care that eBay colludes in fraud and benefits from crime. They don't even stop the tech companies causing children to kill themselves, so they're not going to care about fools being parted from a few hundred dollars.

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 403 ✭✭✭

bobby131313 on CoinCommunity (he runs it) used to have zapping pull...

Then again,

Ebay seller with 0 feedback from Poland

stupid is as stupid does.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Who cares?

Keep the policing on the US side and we will discuss numismatics here.

• dxd1995dxd1995 Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 7:08PM

I also bought some counterfeit commemorative coins on eBay when I first started collecting... They didn't do anything even after I called them and told them most things sold by that seller were fake

• SametsSamets Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

I've seen 3 higher end coins being sold from Poland on eBay with either zero or under 10 feedback. I get a feeling I'll be avoiding all Poland based sellers.

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:
    bobby131313 on CoinCommunity (he runs it) used to have zapping pull...

Then again,

Ebay seller with 0 feedback from Poland

stupid is as stupid does.

Y'oughtta see the posts on the gun selling forum.
    Some guy ordered mine with 0 feedback and would not send me his name or phone number.
    Spoofs are running rampant.

:#

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2024 6:17PM

This is how much eBay care about stopping themselves profiting from crime. I reported an obvious fake and got these replies:

Sat 03/02/2024 22:36
    Thanks for reporting the content you found to be problematic on our site. We’re looking into it now. We’ll let you know once we’ve reviewed it and provide you with details of any decision that we make.
    Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
    Thanks,
    eBay

Sat 03/02/2024 22:58
    A decision was made on the listing you reported. Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found. What happened:
    We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.
    Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
    Thanks,
    eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

[No contact details provided. Neither was any information given on how AI is able to review photos of fake ancient coins and determine they are real in 22 minutes].