Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

Has the popularity of baseball declined?

2Β»

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭

With the amount of money these players are getting its no wonder the owners are cheap.
    No matter how much money the owners have they don't want to give it all away.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 4:49PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    With the amount of money these players are getting its no wonder the owners are cheap.

Is it better for cheap owners to use team funds as a piggy bank funding their private planes and real estate investments while owning teams in a league where the lowest values team is worth a billion dollars instead of paying players?

They have the money. Theyre pocketing the profits instead of paying players

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

Good point. They are way overpaid. Especially if they play on a losing team.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read where pickleball has surpassed baseball in playing and viewing popularity.

πŸ˜‰

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 6:07AM

@stevek said:
    I just read where pickleball has surpassed baseball in playing and viewing popularity.

πŸ˜‰

Haha that sport has exploded in popularity actually, I have no idea how to play and plan on never learning πŸ˜‚

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

πŸ˜‰

Haha that sport has exploded in popularity actually, I have no idea how to play and plan on never learning πŸ˜‚

Never played it, likely never will.

I have read articles whereby if ya live nearby those pickleball courts, the racket may drive ya into an insane asylum. Like a form of noise torture.

• Options

Believe it or not, Tom Brady a while back bought a pickleball franchise. πŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’Έ

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

πŸ˜‰

I have read articles whereby if ya live nearby those pickleball courts, the racket may drive ya into an insane asylum. Like a form of noise torture.

True. One of the reasons why people play is because its easier to play than tennis. You have less space to cover.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@stevek said:
    Believe it or not, Tom Brady a while back bought a pickleball franchise. πŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’Έ

A ton of celebrities have. It was a cheap investment that if the league works out they will make a ton of money. It really doesnt even have to do that much just to get their money back.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

πŸ˜‰

True. One of the reasons why people play is because its easier to play than tennis. You have less space to cover.

Seems to me like a form of badminton. But instead of a birdie, using a ball sort of like a wiffle ball.

The one quick video I saw around a year ago, showed that the elderly were having fun playing it. Perhaps because they are hard of hearing, and the irritating noise doesn't bother them as much. πŸ€”

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

A ton of celebrities have. It was a cheap investment that if the league works out they will make a ton of money. It really doesnt even have to do that much just to get their money back.

There are professional "leagues" with practically everything these days. Even ping-pong, not sure if there is a professional league or not, probably is, but it is an Olympic sport.

That being said, I can't fathom any huge fan popularity watching pickleball. But retired athletes are highly intelligent people, always having honest business managers, with a long history of great success with their business ventures in retirement. So perhaps this solid investment in a pickleball franchise will grow into something even bigger than the NFL. The Super Bowl will become obsolete, and the Pickle Bowl will become the new fan favorite.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

I used to watch a little baseball (Twins only) from time to time but in the last few years I really have not watched much. It is just too many games plus I'd rather be outside on nice summer days. Too many games and they are too often.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just the name Pickleball is enough for me to have no interest.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every few years venture a trip to the HOF. Mainly to see the vintage artifacts on display. Still enjoy that aspect of the game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

There are professional "leagues" with practically everything these days. Even ping-pong, not sure if there is a professional league or not, probably is, but it is an Olympic sport.

That being said, I can't fathom any huge fan popularity watching pickleball. But retired athletes are highly intelligent people, always having honest business managers, with a long history of great success with their business ventures in retirement. So perhaps this solid investment in a pickleball franchise will grow into something even bigger than the NFL. The Super Bowl will become obsolete, and the Pickle Bowl will become the new fan favorite.

Pickleball is insanely popular right now. I dont enjoy watching it but courts both indoors and outdoors are popping up all over the place. Many celebrities including Drake, Lebron, Kardashians etc bought the major league pickleball teams. Its not like it cost millions to do so. Theyre in on the ground floor like the investors of the major league lacrosse league. They dont have to grow by much at all to get their money back or be making money on it. I get why a lot of people like it being thats its an easier form of tennis that can be played even as a senior

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

Pickleball is insanely popular right now. I dont enjoy watching it but courts both indoors and outdoors are popping up all over the place. Many celebrities including Drake, Lebron, Kardashians etc bought the major league pickleball teams. Its not like it cost millions to do so. Theyre in on the ground floor like the investors of the major league lacrosse league. They dont have to grow by much at all to get their money back or be making money on it. I get why a lot of people like it being thats its an easier form of tennis that can be played even as a senior

You're right, it is more like tennis. I didn't think the pickleball was allowed to touch the ground. Shows what I know about pickleball. LOL

I have played a lot of tennis, and next time I'm in the mood for tennis, I'll play tennis.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

You're right, it is more like tennis. I didn't think the pickleball was allowed to touch the ground. Shows what I know about pickleball. LOL

I have played a lot of tennis, and next time I'm in the mood for tennis, I'll play tennis.

Haha yea they have some weird rules like both sides have to let it bounce first on the first one before they can go for it in the air type things. I watched it a few times when it first got on TV with the novelty of it but it didnt keep my interest.

If you really want to see a funny one check out Wrestleball where its a combination of basketball, rugby, and wrestling.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

Haha yea they have some weird rules like both sides have to let it bounce first on the first one before they can go for it in the air type things. I watched it a few times when it first got on TV with the novelty of it but it didnt keep my interest.

If you really want to see a funny one check out Wrestleball where its a combination of basketball, rugby, and wrestling.

Humans don't have enough games to play for crying out loud, they have to invent more? πŸ˜‚

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

Humans don't have enough games to play for crying out loud, they have to invent more? πŸ˜‚

Wrestleball and Phone Booth fighting where they fight MMA in old British style phone booths always make me laugh seeing it.

Wrestleball reminds me of the old American Gladiator Powerball