Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

No Date unusual.Has anyone ever seen one of these unusual dual Phennig coins 1 & 10 Reichsphennig

Hello all and thank you for welcoming me to the Universe. I trust my first post is acceptable. I need help identifying this coin. any information will be greatly appreciated. I have thought it may also be one off made by a creative German craftsman. if so it is indeed a fine piece of work.

Tagged:

Comments

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does seem like someone inlayed a 1 pfennig inside of a 10 pfennig. It definitely wasn't made that way.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Agree with Neil. But I have to admit that I like it. 🙂

Welcome to the forum RSB.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Thank you both Neil and Bailathaci,

When I bought it, it was labeled a "Magic Pfennig". I have searched wide and long and yet to find reference to, or another. I'm a notgeld nut and collect the Weimar and Third Reich in addition to my toils in American 20th century silver. Heck, If I like the looks of a coin I buy it. Coins are like guns, you can't have too many.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you search for "magic coin" or "magician's coin", you will find a great many similar objects - just not from Germany. I have seen many such, posted on the forums before. American cent/dime, and US half dollar / British halfcrown seem to be common.

I assume they were used in magic tricks: look, I have a pfennig in my hand. Hey, presto, change-o, now it's a 10 pfennig coin!

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • @Sapyx said:
    If you search for "magic coin" or "magician's coin", you will find a great many similar objects - just not from Germany. I have seen many such, posted on the forums before. American cent/dime, and US half dollar / British halfcrown seem to be common.

I assume they were used in magic tricks: look, I have a pfennig in my hand. Hey, presto, change-o, now it's a 10 pfennig coin!

HA! I should know this having a life long friend who has been a professional performing magician for 40+ years. I think I'll have it graded and send it to him.

Thank you.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

They won't grade a magician's coin - from the TPG's point of view, it's a damaged coin. Or more specifically, it's two different damaged coins that have been jammed together.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Possibly so? I misspoke earlier using the word "graded". I understand it possibly would not receive a grade, but if categorized in exonumia if can possibly be encased for properties sake. All I can do is submit the item and see what they do. We'll see. I have a stack of foreign coins I'm readying to submit on the first quarter special. I gave very little for it, and I suspect if end up have $25 dollars in the coin and no case, I could always break even. Although I have no plans on ever selling. I have a grade school classmate who is magician. I will most likely send it to him.