Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1882 cc morgan no regrets

So I was unable to resist and got that coin out of the paperweight and I couldn't be happier the acrylic did it no justice. I believe it's one of the best looking Morgan's I have. I added before and after pics


Comments

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 4:25AM

    Why didn't you just post this to your original thread instead of starting a new one? That would have provided much better background and avoided two threads about the same coin.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld why couldn't you comment about the coin instead of being snarky? I think the coin turned out lovely after being freed from its prison.....but what do I know....I am a lowly Late Date Large Cent collector.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RLSnapper said:
    @MFeld why couldn't you comment about the coin instead of being snarky? I think the coin turned out lovely after being freed from its prison.....but what do I know....I am a lowly Late Date Large Cent collector.

    I had already commented on the coin in the original thread and didn't mean to sound snarky.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That turned out great!
    Nice looking coin!

  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭✭

    It is a nice '82-CC BU dollar -- I would keep it in a properly-sized ATH (what you have it in now appears to be a holder meant for a slightly larger diameter coin) where the volara ring fits snugly. Enjoy your CC dollar!

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Amazing!
    Looks like a 64

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst bretsan MWallace logger7 JWP BruceS bigjpst
    JWP PROMETHIUS88

  • Options
    World67World67 Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

    How did you get it out of the acrylic?

  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Manifest_Destiny said:
    How did you get it out of the acrylic?

    This

    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Manifest_Destiny said:
    How did you get it out of the acrylic?

    We need "during" pictures in addition to before and after.

  • Options

    My husband says I should keep my tricks to removing the coin a trade secret but honestly a chisel and hammer with an extraordinary amount of caution

  • Options

    I have done this sixteen or so times now with no damage to coin

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Snowwoman23 said:
    My husband says I should keep my tricks to removing the coin a trade secret

    If we all had that attitude then there would be no need for anyone to ask for advice or opinions. ;)

  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice job of "executive clemency" :D
    looks MS63 (ish)

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Snowwoman23 said:
    I have done this sixteen or so times now with no damage to coin

    You didn't offer details and I'm not going to ask, but just be aware that many encasements are worth more intact.

  • Options
    PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I thought the process for freeing these was relatively well known and simple. Cut away the excess, and then soak in acetone, no?

    Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's very pretty! Nice job getting it of that container! Coins are better when you can hold them and see them clearly!

  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well then, you followed my advice... Good job!

  • Options
    FredSFredS Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

    Still some residue on there I think. Acetone bath for awhile should help it.

  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Good decision to crack it out. It's worth significantly more now out of that ugly encasement, which was definitely holding the coin back.


    RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

    Thank you

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You did a good job.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file