Home Metal Detecting
Options

Year totals for 2023

CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

The year 2023 brought a new high in old silver as a relatively mild winter allowed me to get out more often in search of new finds. Along with multiple old copper finds (I estimate the wheaties at 140-150, along with a few Indian Head and Large Cents), I found 115 old silver pieces (w/ 3 foreign silver), which included my first half dollars (both WLH). A few places stand out in memory, such as two locations that yielded 10 and 6 silvers each.

As far as type finds go, silver Washington quarters edged out the Mercs. As with the two prior years since beginning this activity, Merc dime finds exceeded silver Rosie finds. Seems like folks were more likely to drop a Merc, not caring to search for/recover it, than for a silver Rosie.

Detect Tallies 2023

Large Cents: 2
Indian Head Cents: 4
Wheaties: Multiples

Liberty Nickel: 1
Buffalo Nickel: 2
Silver WWII Nickel: 4

Barber Dime: 6
Mercury Dime: 34
Rosie Dime: 26

Barber Quarter: 1
Standling Lib Quarter: 4
Washie Quarter: 35

Walking Liberty HD: 2

Foreign Silver: 3 (1941 Netherlands 25c, 1916 Threepence, & 1926 Sixpence)

Total Silver: 115

Got Crust....y gold?

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:
    The year 2023 brought a new high in old silver as a relatively mild winter allowed me to get out more often in search of new finds. Along with multiple old copper finds (I estimate the wheaties at 140-150, along with a few Indian Head and Large Cents), I found 115 old silver pieces (w/ 3 foreign silver), which included my first half dollars (both WLH). A few places stand out in memory, such as two locations that yielded 10 and 6 silvers each.

As far as type finds go, silver Washington quarters edged out the Mercs. As with the two prior years since beginning this activity, Merc dime finds exceeded silver Rosie finds. Seems like folks were more likely to drop a Merc, not caring to search for/recover it, than for a silver Rosie.

Detect Tallies 2023

Large Cents: 2
    Indian Head Cents: 4
    Wheaties: Multiples

Liberty Nickel: 1
    Buffalo Nickel: 2
    Silver WWII Nickel: 4

Barber Dime: 6
    Mercury Dime: 34
    Rosie Dime: 26

Barber Quarter: 1
    Standling Lib Quarter: 4
    Washie Quarter: 35

Walking Liberty HD: 2

Foreign Silver: 3 (1941 Netherlands 25c, 1916 Threepence, & 1926 Sixpence)

Total Silver: 115

Great year. I enjoy your posts. I have also found substantially more Mercs than Roosevelt dimes. i suspect it has to do with them circulating for almost 50 years (1916-1964) with Roosevelt dimes being a little less than 20 years.
    Keep up the hunt!!!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

a way cool year, wtg

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have also enjoyed reading your posts and learning about your MD finds.

May 2024 continue to be good to you; and my you find your first gold coin.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

That's a little better than my best year ever, although I typically only hunt on public property.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks gents. It was a good year and one that’ll be really tough to top. Most public land in the mid-Atlantic region has been detected to death, although there are a few niches that have been overlooked and still hold good finds. The real opportunities lie in old, private properties, which means you’ll need to have the confidence and a little background knowledge on the property to engage with the owner and, after a brief conversation about it (and about yourself), request permission. I’ve found that strategy works more than not.
    Keep up the hunt!

Got Crust....y gold?