Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1953 Lincoln Cent With Die Crack

Came across this cent while going through a bunch of old rolls. This one is on the bigger side even for the 1950's where die cracks are common.

I like finding these little oddities now and then.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back when I believe these were referred to as spiked heads. I may be wrong. Also around that time there were cracked skulls as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

They call ’em that and more. Here’s more, one is close to the OP coin.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Way back when I believe these were referred to as spiked heads. I may be wrong. Also around that time there were cracked skulls as well.

You're not wrong.

http://cuds-on-coins.com/spike-head/

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that yours has what may be a die crack from lower rim through shoulder akin to a 1950 die crack. Thought it to be a scratch at first, but after looking at the SKH-1c-1950-09 it may be a die crack also. What do you think?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 7:17AM

@jesbroken said:
    Interesting that yours has what may be a die crack from lower rim through shoulder akin to a 1950 die crack. Thought it to be a scratch at first, but after looking at the SKH-1c-1950-09 it may be a die crack also. What do you think?
    Jim

I was just thinking the same thing.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file