Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Does anyone recall Graeme Ton Numismatics?

I stumbled on an accompanying blurb that came with a note I bought and it mentioned being Ex-Steele collection but prior to that coming from Mr. Graeme Ton in 1988
Doing a quick G-Search shows
"...he ran a successful paper currency (numismatics) business and established himself as one of the premier dealers in the country."
https://obits.nola.com/us/obituaries/nola/name/graeme-ton-obituary?id=19216954

Did anyone have any experience or tales dealing with Mr. Ton?

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

He wrote one of my favorite small size articles! Wish I could’ve met him in person.

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭

@Tookybandit said:
    He wrote one of my favorite small size articles! Wish I could’ve met him in person.

I remember him as well.

Remember George Decker? He had a heck of a nationals inventory. Wonder where all those notes went.

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ted 1 said:

@Tookybandit said:

I remember him as well.

Remember George Decker? He had a heck of a nationals inventory. Wonder where all those notes went.

I hope it's all in nice homes some where being enjoyed 👍🙏

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Graeme's son, Greg Ton, is a respected currency dealer specializing in obsolete, colonial, and southern notes.

http://www.gregtoncurrency.com/default.asp

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. This is the first time that I realized that there were two Tons in the currency business. I've heard the name and think that I met Greg once at a show about 20-25 years ago.

I remember George Decker, too, but had him confused for a minute with George Springer, an eccentric collector. George Springer was infamous for his end-of-Memphis show rants. One the last day, when dealers were packing up, he would stand in the middle of the bourse floor and yell at the top of his lungs something like, "You thieves did it again! You got all my money. I come here with good intentions every year and you do it to me every time. You stole every penny I had....." It usually got a good laugh.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post @MoneyMonkey1

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Excellent post @MoneyMonkey1

+1
    We had a dealer like that in Canada named Don Olmstead. He sent UNC Devil Face notes to a few older collectors I know who would then either send the note back or send him a cheque. He was the epitome of gentleman, highly respected & implicitly trusted. He was the first dealer who taught me the difference between "original" vs altered banknotes (some of the telltale signs). He graded very conservatively so you often did well to buy from him. He had a fantastic sense of humour & joined many of us for lunch at some of the shows I attended. I felt fortunate that I got to know him on a more informal bases (as he taught us all a lot). Great guy!