Home Sports Talk

Bills kicker receives death threats

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills kicker Tyler Bass received death threats because of the missed field goal at the end of the Chiefs game, so in response Swifties donated nearly $300,000 to a charity that Tyler Bass works with to save abused and abandoned cats. Is this really what it's come to, death threats over a football game?

Comments

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nothing new, unfortunately.

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Increased legalized gambling is part of it. It's out of the shadows now.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2024 7:51PM

    in the eyes of the miscreant who threatened his life, Bass cost him a lost of money

    that's the only explanation

    i assure you a non-gambler doesn't care enough to go to those lengths

    but, legalized gambling is laying in sports' bed and now they must try to make it. every time you turn around it's being rammed down a viewer's throat.

    what could possibly go wrong?

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2024 8:04PM

    @galaxy27 said:
    i assure you a non-gambler doesn't care enough to go to those lengths

    They definitely do. Every fan base has some crazy people and this is nothing new its just more in the open now with social media. Athletes have been dealing with this for decades even at the college level

    Even media personalities get these threats when they have nothing to do with gambling for talking bad about a team

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Basebal21 said:

    @galaxy27 said:
    i assure you a non-gambler doesn't care enough to go to those lengths

    They definitely do. Every fan base has some crazy people and this is nothing new its just more in the open now with social media. Athletes have been dealing with this for decades even at the college level

    Even media personalities get these threats when they have nothing to do with gambling for talking bad about a team

    and you know those threats are in no way linked to gambling how exactly? i couldn't care less about media personalities, i'm talking strictly players who decide outcomes.

    i'll be more than willing to place a friendly wager with you that the particular moron or morons who threatened Bass had a more-than-friendly wager on that particular game

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    @galaxy27 said:
    i assure you a non-gambler doesn't care enough to go to those lengths

    They definitely do. Every fan base has some crazy people and this is nothing new its just more in the open now with social media. Athletes have been dealing with this for decades even at the college level

    Even media personalities get these threats when they have nothing to do with gambling for talking bad about a team

    and you know those threats are in no way linked to gambling how exactly? i couldn't care less about media personalities, i'm talking strictly players who decide outcomes.

    i'll be more than willing to place a friendly wager with you that the particular moron or morons who threatened Bass had a more-than-friendly wager on that particular game

    I know they arent all linked to gambling because they happen to people other than players and like pointed out its unfortunately nothing new. Theres simply crazy people out there and people that have their weeks, months, or years ruined based off of team success. It could have been something gambling related, but when you have cases of people trying to get someones wife fired for speaking about their team, or sending people pictures of their house etc it goes far deeper for people to take the step to make death threats. The Colorado State safety who made the hit on Travis Hunter received numerous death threats from the Colorado fans this past season.

    Its unfortunately something that happens all the time and has been for decades any time a player in an individualized big spot fails or does something. Theres countless examples of it in all sports and all media situations. Its even worse internationally with soccer players where countless players have been murdered for something on the field and refs have even been beheaded in South America for amateur soccer games for a call they made

    Theres a ton of instances of fans being assaulted and put in the hospital or worse for rooting for the wrong team. Gambling isnt the only reason this happens

    https://abcnews.go.com/US/san-francisco-giants-fan-bryan-stow-coma-attacked/story?id=13298349

    Just one of many instances

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2024 8:40PM

    here's Bills fans discussing it. no one with a shred of common sense thinks it's a rabid fan who feels the need to eliminate a human being because his/her precious team lost

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gambling without question has a lot to do with it when the behavior rises to this level. I've often told others, when a gambler is hissed off, don't speak to him, don't kid around with him, don't interact with him. If he's a buddy and driving home with ya from a gambling venue after a run of horrible luck, just let him get in your car and simmer down, turn on the radio, and take him home.

    That being said, a death threat is of course unacceptable. Frankly, I've been around many gamblers over the years, and don't recall anything even close to this. Yes a player, jockey, etc, often is called all sorts of dirty names when they screw up. But virtually all gamblers understand that possibly "screwing up" is all part of the game, and the risk ya take when placing a bet.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Theres a ton of instances of fans being assaulted and put in the hospital or worse for rooting for the wrong team. Gambling isnt the only reason this happens

    Yes of course there could be other reasons for certain types of violent behavior such as alcohol, drugs, etc.

    But the thread topic is about a death threat to a player, not a fight in the stands. The death threat is almost definitely, if not definitely, the result of a bad gambling loss.

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:

    Theres a ton of instances of fans being assaulted and put in the hospital or worse for rooting for the wrong team. Gambling isnt the only reason this happens

    Yes of course there could be other reasons for certain types of violent behavior such as alcohol, drugs, etc.

    But the thread topic is about a death threat to a player, not a fight in the stands. The death threat is almost definitely, if not definitely, the result of a bad gambling loss.

    As a Philly fan you should know that treats are often nothing more than about the loss. Did Philly fans throwing batteries at Santa lose a bet? How about the ones that would come down to the Nationals to throw up on Nationals fans when Werth left and signed with them?

    Blaming gambling is just an excuse for psychotic behavior that has countless instances of occurring with sports with nothing gambling related. If you mess up in a big moment there are fans that will threaten your life. Bartman had to be smuggled out of Wrigley when he did nothing wrong on a foul ball and the Cubs made errors afterwards.

    The majority of threats to players never get made public to not draw attention to it. They get handled privately by team and league security and the police.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 3:32AM

    I'm not even a little bit surprised

    I can completely understand beating this guy up on social media, calling for him to be cut and thrown off the team ect..that's fine if that's how you need to vent about your team losing ect but threats of violence is a completely different animal and absolutely criminally retarded.

    As far as gambling and idiots ruining your bets by bad play or other nonsensical crap that happens, I'm definitely guilty of screaming at the top of my lungs insults and maybe a "OMG I want to punch him" type stuff but after I settle down it's all good, I would never take my pitchfork to social media and promote actually hurting someone over it.

  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭

    Remember Scott Norwood of the bills? Missing field goals to end the SB 25.
    His life may really have been in jeopardy.

    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Basebal21 said:

    @stevek said:

    Theres a ton of instances of fans being assaulted and put in the hospital or worse for rooting for the wrong team. Gambling isnt the only reason this happens

    Yes of course there could be other reasons for certain types of violent behavior such as alcohol, drugs, etc.

    But the thread topic is about a death threat to a player, not a fight in the stands. The death threat is almost definitely, if not definitely, the result of a bad gambling loss.

    As a Philly fan you should know that treats are often nothing more than about the loss. Did Philly fans throwing batteries at Santa lose a bet? How about the ones that would come down to the Nationals to throw up on Nationals fans when Werth left and signed with them?

    Blaming gambling is just an excuse for psychotic behavior that has countless instances of occurring with sports with nothing gambling related. If you mess up in a big moment there are fans that will threaten your life. Bartman had to be smuggled out of Wrigley when he did nothing wrong on a foul ball and the Cubs made errors afterwards.

    The majority of threats to players never get made public to not draw attention to it. They get handled privately by team and league security and the police.

    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the difference between a death threat and anger.

    I would agree with ya about anyone doing this could be called psychotic. However in my view, regarding the kicker missing the field goal, I have no doubt that gambling was the trigger. Perhaps a possible life altering event such as losing his rent money and now he's facing eviction, or losing his car payment money and now he's facing repossession of his vehicle, something such as that.

    There's a reason why old sayings about gambling come about such as, "Eat your betting money, but never bet your eating money." This guy likely bet his eating money and it set him off.

    Does this guy have at least some personal problems which technically might have nothing to do with gambling such as women issues, job layoff, or whatever? Yes very likely. In this case, it was the bad loss that set him off into psychotic land.

    I'm sure now or soon he will regret doing it. The key is not to do it in the first place. Along with the gambling loss it only makes matters worse. Such as In this case, possible arrest and criminal charges. When he receives the lawyer's bill, he will regret it even more.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't know if gambling played a role in this or not, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did, regardless of the reason it is unacceptable. You know, being a field goal kicker is an absolute pressure cooker of a job. All the hard work that a team puts into the season, the draft, training camp, the back breaking practices, the film study, everything all comes down to whether you make that kick or not, it's all on your plate. It's the damnest job I think I've ever seen.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    I don't know if gambling played a role in this or not, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did, regardless of the reason it is unacceptable. You know, being a field goal kicker is an absolute pressure cooker of a job. All the hard work that a team puts into the season, the draft, training camp, the back breaking practices, the film study, everything all comes down to whether you make that kick or not, it's all on your plate. It's the damnest job I think I've ever seen.

    It is but at the end of the day a FG from 44 or 41 yards in decent weather needs to be made, especially when the game is on the line.

    Obviously nothing warrants threats of violence though

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said: Is this really what it's come to, death threats over a football game?

    This sort of thing isn't new, it's got a history that's probably as old as organized sports. When he was closing in on the Babe's record for HR's it was common knowledge that Hank Aaron was receiving death threats. I believe he had a police guard for awhile.

    In some people Hate is a very strong motivator.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    I don't know if gambling played a role in this or not, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did, regardless of the reason it is unacceptable. You know, being a field goal kicker is an absolute pressure cooker of a job. All the hard work that a team puts into the season, the draft, training camp, the back breaking practices, the film study, everything all comes down to whether you make that kick or not, it's all on your plate. It's the damnest job I think I've ever seen.

    It's called choking.

    I sometimes choke when I'm posting on here. I'll type in Phillies when I meant to type in Eagles. Sometimes I'll type in Flyers or 76ers when I meant to type in Eagles. And other various mistakes due to the pressure.

  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When your team loses for whatever reason, lost bet, just pissed off, whatever...get a grip, it's only a sport.

    If you can't handle the loss, don't make the bet. Just like a casino, NEVER take whatever might change your life if you were to lose. I have seen some desperate people press their bet out of frustration and continue to lose. I just watch the show.

    Sadly, a handful of morons get the press.
    Hey, the guy missed a field goal, he already feels horrible, just like Bill Buckner...life happens.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you're an athlete, all you can do is give your best effort, sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't, it shouldn't mean the end of the world for guys like Tyler Bass, Scott Norwood, Bill Buckner or Jackie Smith, to heck with the gamblers who lose their money. I remember that time the Memphis kid missed those free throws and he sunk to the ground and the announcer said "somebody help that kid up", classy stuff.

    https://youtu.be/AA13mfhVMsY

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 1:26PM

    I once lost a huge bet on chicken racing from Hong Kong.

    I haven't eaten a chicken since, nor a chicken egg.

    https://youtu.be/cU_3UDiHb08

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Speaking of fan threats. See Mitch Williams pitcher for Philadelphia Phillies in World Series.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's called choking

    I wouldn't say he choked. A 44 yard field goal in today's NFL is almost routine, yet it still get's made only about 75% of the time. Add in the cold and wind which are always factors and it's easy to see how Bass missed.

    The trouble with being a kicker like him in the NFL is that they are required to come off the bench cold and do their job, not an easy task. Place Kicker looks like the easiest job in the NFL but it's actually the one with the most pressure.

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 4:10PM

    @stevek said:

    @Basebal21 said:

    @stevek said:

    Theres a ton of instances of fans being assaulted and put in the hospital or worse for rooting for the wrong team. Gambling isnt the only reason this happens

    Yes of course there could be other reasons for certain types of violent behavior such as alcohol, drugs, etc.

    But the thread topic is about a death threat to a player, not a fight in the stands. The death threat is almost definitely, if not definitely, the result of a bad gambling loss.

    As a Philly fan you should know that treats are often nothing more than about the loss. Did Philly fans throwing batteries at Santa lose a bet? How about the ones that would come down to the Nationals to throw up on Nationals fans when Werth left and signed with them?

    Blaming gambling is just an excuse for psychotic behavior that has countless instances of occurring with sports with nothing gambling related. If you mess up in a big moment there are fans that will threaten your life. Bartman had to be smuggled out of Wrigley when he did nothing wrong on a foul ball and the Cubs made errors afterwards.

    The majority of threats to players never get made public to not draw attention to it. They get handled privately by team and league security and the police.

    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the difference between a death threat and anger.

    I would agree with ya about anyone doing this could be called psychotic. However in my view, regarding the kicker missing the field goal, I have no doubt that gambling was the trigger. Perhaps a possible life altering event such as losing his rent money and now he's facing eviction, or losing his car payment money and now he's facing repossession of his vehicle, something such as that.

    There's a reason why old sayings about gambling come about such as, "Eat your betting money, but never bet your eating money." This guy likely bet his eating money and it set him off.

    Does this guy have at least some personal problems which technically might have nothing to do with gambling such as women issues, job layoff, or whatever? Yes very likely. In this case, it was the bad loss that set him off into psychotic land.

    I'm sure now or soon he will regret doing it. The key is not to do it in the first place. Along with the gambling loss it only makes matters worse. Such as In this case, possible arrest and criminal charges. When he receives the lawyer's bill, he will regret it even more.

    Again though you dont need gambling for people to act this way. There are simply fanatical sports fans out there that for lack of a better term live and die on their teams success. Bartman had to be smuggled out of Wrigley like they were smuggling a spy out of North Korea to get him away from Wrigley safely with a mob looking for him. Before he ultimately moved and went into hiding having to quit his job and not go to work on the advice by the police he had police cars outside his house from the amount of threats.

    Theres HS kids that get death treats from adults at big time programs if they mess up. People dont need betting for a reason to issue threats to an athlete or anyone else when it comes to sports. If youve ever seen the Wesley Snipes movie The Fan there are people like that out there

    The dumbest part about it all besides people being psychopaths that need help is the kicker is getting blamed for everything. They had multiple drops that stalled drives and Diggs dropping the long ball etc but all of that is forgotten because of the missed FG

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The dumbest part about it all besides people being psychopaths that need help is the kicker is getting blamed for everything. They had multiple drops that stalled drives and Diggs dropping the long ball etc but all of that is forgotten because of the missed FG

    I agree with ya on that. The fact is making that field goal would have only tied the game. There was still around 1:45 left on the clock, plenty of time for KC to maybe get down the field and kick a field goal to win it. If not, anything could have happened in overtime.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    It's called choking

    I wouldn't say he choked. A 44 yard field goal in today's NFL is almost routine, yet it still get's made only about 75% of the time. Add in the cold and wind which are always factors and it's easy to see how Bass missed.

    The trouble with being a kicker like him in the NFL is that they are required to come off the bench cold and do their job, not an easy task. Place Kicker looks like the easiest job in the NFL but it's actually the one with the most pressure.

    The wind or cold had nothing to with it. Right off his foot he missed that kick. He misses that kick on a windless, warm sunny day.

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    here's Bills fans discussing it. no one with a shred of common sense thinks it's a rabid fan who feels the need to eliminate a human being because his/her precious team lost

    What excuse does the "Buffalo Mafia" have for their fans throwing snowballs? Possibly causing eye damage. Could of been loaded snowballs as well with ice.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
Sign In or Register to comment.