Home U.S. Coin Forum

What software do you recommend for coin inventory files?----- UPDATE!!!!!

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2024 9:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I need a new system to log inventory. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

GrandAm :)

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2024 5:10PM

Is there a program for entering certified coins as well as raw coins and bullion?

I don't think this will work,,,, it says "System Requirements: Windows 7, 10 or 11"

I use a MAC and Safari

I have used excel for years but looking for something different

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    Is there a program for entering certified coins as well as raw coins and bullion?

I don't think this will work,,,, it says "System Requirements: Windows 7, 10 or 11"

I use a MAC and Safari

macOS Version

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excel is simple enough. I apply the format to private web pages so I can view the collection on the go.

With a bit of extra code I can make it into a live and interactive checklist.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you've used Excel before, but are looking for something different, though I don't know why. However, my recommendation would be Excel every time.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I have used excel for years but looking for something different

What would you like to have in the coin inventory software that Excel does not have?

The truth is I lost all my excel files and will have to recreate them so I thought I would see if there was something better. I was happy with excel just frustrated with my stupidly in losing all of them.

Thanks for the input.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numbers (spreadsheet app) on my Mac and iPhone. I keep the file on iCloud so I can access the data anywhere and it’s automatically backed up.

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the coin software programs like this one above have the ability to get updates on coin market values ? Or is the data inaccurate and/or stale ?

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the Excel camp...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the registry. But, I only collect seated liberty quarters so it's not very complicated.

• LibreOffice (Calc – spreadsheet) it's like Excel but Free and you do not have to pay anyone anything.......

• silviosisilviosi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Any software will be same with the speadsheets as Excel, and then in any Office you can build your own design Database. All the database software has behind speadsheet which is base on Fortran mathematical programing language

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I need a new system to log inventory. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Make an Excel spreadsheet.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Excel. You don't have to wait on software updates and you can modify to your own needs.

My old Excel program got corrupted as it was 15 yrs old. I purchased a new version and will continue to use it.

Thanks for all the input.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used excel since the very early issues and did not like the office 365 version so I still use my 2003 excel.
    Can't imagine using any thing else. I have found many people using excel do not use it as intended. Without code and/or training, it can be a very basic spreadsheet.
    A warning, I also have lost my excel inventory sheets through a windows issue, so I now keep my excel files in both windows and a flash drive as I started doing with all my impt files many years ago.
    Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Exact Change. It works well enough, though I wish I understood the report writer much better.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Excel, the data is in the cloud and I can access it either from my Windows puter or my IOS iPad.

• 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use CoinElite and have for many years. It does everything I want. I have like 7000 entries in the program.

Have a good day, Gary
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 7:51AM

Currently I use PCGS for my PCGS certified stuff and a spreadsheet/workbook (Excel) for everything else.
    I make a new sheet/tab for each collection, denomination, type, set, or whatever.
    For example I have a sheet/tab for bank wrapped cent rolls, proof sets, mint sets.
    The spreadsheet/data is in the cloud, so I can access from anywhere, any device.

Prior to this I purchased and used a software package. The software was ProCoin.
    Long story short the database got corrupted, no backup. They tried to help me recover, but I gave up.
    So, I started from scratch.

The third party approach is nice if you use the additional functions/features.
    The layout of data entry screens, data validation, pictures, regular software updates, support ... etc.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great feeling when a backup saves the day. I use a book drive.

Larry

• Numbers for Mac works well for me! Also works on my iPad and iPhone seamlessly.

• You can try OpenNumismat. It's free and new features are added regularly. It is available for Windows, Linux and macOS. You can import coins from Excel, other software and numismatic sites.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks interesting.... but the first I've heard of it. Anyone else have any info regarding it? Security issues, spam, etc., that may be associated with it?

----- kj
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    UPDATE!!!!!

@GRANDAM said:
    The truth is I lost all my excel files and will have to recreate them so I thought I would see if there was something better. I was happy with excel just frustrated with my stupidly in losing all of them.

Thanks for the input.

YIPPIEE!!!!!!!

My computer had crashed and I had to completely redown load my operating system. I had all my files backed up on a memory stick but I couldn't get them to open so I was down thinking that I had lost all of them. After thinking about it I realized that I no longer had an excel program on my computer so I assumed that was why they weren't opening. I bought a new excel program and like MAGIC I have all my files back.

This is a BIG relief as although I have paper copies of most files entering all the data into a new excel program would have taken me way too many hours.

Good to hear you were able to recover your data. I use a multiple SSD storage system with my operating system on its own SSD, media on its own and documents and games on their own SSD. So if Windows goes down, nothing else is lost. I have also used a RAID. Bottom line is always have a backup. I recently built my own system and it’s the best thing I have done. I can’t wait to build another one someday.

8 month old thread,,,,,,

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2024 5:09AM

I just use excel. Like designing spreadsheets. Works very well for me. I do use the Pcgs inventory (registry) app too.

Coins & Currency
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all of the coins that I have bought on paper. Works well enough for me.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• nkolevnkolev Posts: 2
    edited August 26, 2024 12:36PM

@tincup said:
    Looks interesting.... but the first I've heard of it. Anyone else have any info regarding it? Security issues, spam, etc., that may be associated with it?

I have been using the program for years and have had no problems. The program is open source and you can build it yourself, as well as look at the code if something bothers you.
    https://github.com/OpenNumismat/open-numismat

The developer has uploaded his plans for adding future functionalities
    https://github.com/OpenNumismat/open-numismat/issues/147

I'm putting a very old video of working with the program so you can get some idea. Many new features have been added since then.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHnAhQaRVM

P.S. There are several catalogues of US coins made, but I don't know how complete they are. Catalogues OpenNumismat

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

Thanks for the input.

Back those files up. I do double backup on jump drives.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file