Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Cents of 1839 for inclusion in my type set

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

So at FUN I was able to purchase a Booby Head in 65BN from Chris McCawley. Then last week at GC a beautiful Silly Head an 66BN came up and I bought it. I’ve been drawn for years to the sub-types of 1839 and am currently working through the various Matron Head types as I build my extended One Cent type set. Right now I have a nice 1821, an 1836, and these two 1839s.

So the question is: am I done here? I think for the purposes of Type, the answer is yes. But hey, I’m also drawn to short set inclusion in my type set, and I do recall some past interest in these forums in a complete 5 coin “set of 1839 cents”.

Here are my two so far:

Comments

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful specimens of 1839. I’ve lately been intrigued by the different varieties of the 1839 large cents. Next you’ll have to find the 1839 over 1836- plain hair cords, 1839 head of ‘38 beaded hair cords and style of 1840 to complete your set. Best of luck!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Amazing coins!! Years (decades) ago, I recall looking at a binder in a shop in Albuquerque where the dealer had pages of 1839 cents... none in nearly as good a shape, but I wonder how many unattributed 9/6's there might have been...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

Such a BEAUTIFUL 1839 one cent piece!

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool project and coins!

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thank goodness I don’t necessarily need an 1839/6 for type. It does however look like I at least need a Head of 1838, beaded cords, which could just as well be an 1837 or 1838. Jeez, it’s like there are 5 distinct types over the course of 3 years!

Okay, so now you see the immense difficulty of including all the subtypes of early copper. Equally maddening are the sub-types of the single year 1793. To be complete, you need an S-1, an S-2 or S-3, an S-4 (Periods), a vine and bars, plain, and lettered edge Wreath (and maybe an S-5 for the large LIBERTY), and a beaded border Lib Cap. 8 coins! Eight! Fortunately most other series are profoundly easier, with the occasional interruption of years like 1836-39, and the mid to late 1850’s.

The only other series left for me to start are the Braided Hair cents. I don’t even have one. I guess it looks like a simple task. One Petite Head. One Mature Head. Simple. Right?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Stunning pieces!
    I’ve long admired all the transitional varieties from 1835 through 1843, but especially the cents of 1839.

This is the stopper; bought raw, now graded VF 25. Yes it’s dreck comparatively, but with only ~30 coins graded higher, and 6 or 7 above XF, it works for me:

Definitely NOT dreck... IMHO.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 1:04AM

Beautful pickups.....you are only done when you sit down and have no desire to look for more. I'm intrigued with all of the die pairings of all denominations from 1939 and before and am starting to pick them up when ever I see something affordable. There is an endless chase that is fun in low grades to make it more affordable.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭

You definitely found 2 good ones there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file