Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PCGS label machine doubling?

I was wondering if PCGS labels coins that have machine doubling (and not double dies).

Even though it doesn't add financial value, I would love my machine doubled coins to have that label as well.

If PCGS doesnt label machine doubling, is there a grading company that does?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, PCGS doesn't label machine doubling.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a PCGS label that denotes machine doubling and don't know of any portion of the submission forms that allows one to request that. You may want to look into a submission to ANACS or ICG for this, but that is only a guess on my part. Good luck.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeddyTalks said:

If PCGS doesnt label machine doubling, is there a grading company that does?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the label printer double printed some labels, and this somehow made it past QC, would these become valuable errors eventually?

If a coin with machine doubling wound up in a holder with one of these labels, would that also become a super desirable doubled double error?
    🤔

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

No legit TPG would ever label strike or machine doubling on its label, it would relegate that TPG to the level of basement slabber overnight. Strike doubling is common and worthless, that doesn't mean that you cannot enjoy it yourself if you like that, but I cannot see any situation where a real TPG would do that.

Your best bet is to buy the generic slabs that are available and print your own labels, or maybe one of the current basement slabbers would do that for you if you paid extra.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there are gold box PCI coins that call out MD. But that variety fails the "legit TPG" test anyway.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file