Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

On the futility of cleaning my desk, and finding a secret coin with a sign from above

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2024 9:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My desk is a disaster. It's piled many levels deep with books and papers, boxes, and art. Coin supplies and crap that should have been tossed long ago. For months I've been working in a little carved out space, pushing things aside to claim a few square inches, moving them back when I add more to the pile or go through everything to find something I need. I've been meaning to take care of this mess for months, but what's the point? As soon as I do, it will begin its reversion to a state of disarray, achieving it far too quickly.

Nevertheless, I decided to start cleaning my desk. Garbage day is tomorrow, and various worthless OGP boxes--the coins they once held now long gone--can be taken far away, never to be seen again, if I move them mere feet. And what's this? A poorly made wooden box designed to hold a slab. It takes up so much space, it would cost far too much to ship. It serves me no good. For some reason, I decide that I should take out the insert designed to snugly hold the slab. Why, though? Both the box and the insert are going into the same garbage bin.

And then, there it is. A coin I never knew existed, hidden under the insert! I pick it up and take a look.

A quarter. A dateless Standing Liberty Quarter. It's better than nothing, but it's not much. I turn it over. A sign from above. I'm done. My desk will remain a mess. I'll go have a drink instead.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

You gotta know when you're beaten!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is hilarious!

I mean, if I was a mod.... I'd definitely forget rule #1 existed right about now.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

The lettering looks like it's laying on the surface of your coin. If it's solder, it may be possible to remove it by heating your coin although it's probably not worth the effort. It would be funny to send it to one of the major grading services to get a "Fair2 Details Graffiti" grade. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

(There not gonna see a green bean with that attitude)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread, had me laughing this morning! :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than magic for humans! Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost spit my coffee ... thanks for the laugh.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

After working full time in a coin shop for 2+ years, this is often a necessary and appropriate approach!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sentiment comes to all of us who have ever got the the notice "your grades are ready"

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that an error from the mint?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    Is that an error from the mint?

Post mintage damage or PMD.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

"...with a sign from above..."

I doubt if you actually received a "sign from above" that's a word HE would use.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for providing encouragement to clean my desk which evaporated quickly. But it was the thought that counts.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

The lettering looks like it's laying on the surface of your coin. If it's solder, it may be possible to remove it by heating your coin although it's probably not worth the effort. It would be funny to send it to one of the major grading services to get a "Fair2 Details Graffiti" grade. :D

It's carved in... it looks like something with a small tip--around the size of a ballpoint pen--was hammered in lots of times. The K shows the individual impressions pretty well, where on some of the other letters it's muddier with the end result looking more like a fair amount of metal being pushed to the side leaving a smoother and more continuous line (see the left side of the F).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

That covers a lot of territory...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone talks about a "sign from above".

Maybe it's a "sign from below".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have inspired my continued procrastination!! :smile:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

A messy desk is the sign of creative genius.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The parts of my desk I CAN see usually aren't that way for long.. I could set a coin there.
    Nice find and my sentiments exactly.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a cat did it.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

This discussion has been closed.