Home U.S. Coin Forum

1882 cc morgan question

So I found a coin that I have questions about it's a cc that was put in a paperweight in 1957 and appears to be in really good condition. That would be pre gsa hoard and they were a lot more elusive prior to that. If I can prove the pre gsa point would it be worth more than a post gsa one?

Comments

  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 725 ✭✭✭✭

    Can it be removed from the paperweight without damage?

  • Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pics of it would help.

    Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Snowwoman23 said:
    So I found a coin that I have questions about it's a cc that was put in a paperweight in 1957 and appears to be in really good condition. That would be pre gsa hoard and they were a lot more elusive prior to that. If I can prove the pre gsa point would it be worth more than a post gsa one?

    No

  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No, it would not make a difference in the value.

    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • I'll post pictures tomorrow

  • @Snowwoman23 said:
    If I can prove the pre gsa point would it
    be worth more than a post gsa one?

    The “date of discovery” is irrelevant in this case. The year, mint, and condition define the value, and while the coin may have had a higher premium pre GSA, that disappeared when GSA dumped the millions of CC coins into the market. You can’t say this coin should be worth more today because it used to be worth more long ago relative to the market.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Unless you find someone looking for a paperweight with a CC Morgan , it won’t be worth more. Start it on ebay at $.99 with good photos. Then give us the link.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Greenstang said:
    Can it be removed from the paperweight without damage?

    Yes, as Tom B pointed out. Lucite is a resin. it will dissolve ( eventually) in acetone…. with that one caveat.
    Coin is probably already damaged.

  • Thank you I was pleasantly surprised about it too

  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I concur, No.

    bob :)
    vegas, baby!

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The photos make it look like someone tried to cut through the paperweight in an attempt to remove the coin. Is the reverse of the coin exposed to the air? The coin itself looks to be a very presentable MS example.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well that is a lot nicer looking than I expected! I'd keep it as-is or sell it since getting it out is going to be a lot of work with unknown results. It is cool as-is.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Yea the coin isn't exposed to air on any sides I do agree it looks like someone humored getting it out but for it's time is a pretty impressive coin and I've had luck getting coins out of lucite without damaging them already

  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's just me, and I would not take my advice, but I would just have to get the coin the hell-out-of-there...

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Joe_360 said:
    It's just me, and I would not take my advice, but I would just have to get the coin the hell-out-of-there...

    Why? As is, it's very different. Once removed, it would just be one more of literally, tens of thousands of others out there.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Amen to what @MFeld just wrote.

    Why go through all the trouble to make it generic?

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • JWPJWP Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 2:23PM

    I'm sure if you put it up for sale, people will look and there very well will be buyers there too. I would be a buyer for the right price
    If I were the owner, I would keep this gem. :/B)

    USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JWP said:
    I'm sure if you put it up for sale, people will look and there very well will be buyers there too. I would be a buyer for the right price
    If I were the owner, I would keep this gem. :/B)

    I think most anyone would be a buyer “for the right price”.😉

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @Joe_360 said:
    It's just me, and I would not take my advice, but I would just have to get the coin the hell-out-of-there...

    Why? As is, it's very different. Once removed, it would just be one more of literally, tens of thousands of others out there.

    The age old answer, "because it's there..."

  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

    How did you get it out? That looked like it would have damaged the coin to break it out. Such heavy acrylic...

  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

    GSA is post 1973-75 I believe

    Many happy BST transactions
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cheezhed said:
    GSA is post 1973-75 I believe

    Good point. This is a pre-GSA CC Morgan. Interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file