Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 OPC Gretzky PSA 9 just hit an amazing 2 year low.

HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

Here’s the card………..

🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒

Here’s the final price……………

🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒

Here’s the reputable seller……………

🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒🥅🏒

Here’s the sales history……………….

Comments

• Options
    edited January 25, 2024 3:30AM

COVID was gaining steam between March 2020 through July 2020.
    We are now at pre-COVID peak level prices and perhaps getting closer to pre-COVID beginning level prices.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like it is heading back to pre covid levels. like many cards are

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2024 4:44AM

@craig44 said:

Agreed, but fixed price listings can do well if the right buyer is willing.
    This just sold for what I assume is well over market value.

I’ve been considering a 75 opc set and sales results have been somewhat slow.

• Options

• Options

agreed, i will only use BIN for the foreseeable future

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell buy it now's only. If you auction a lot of stuff you probably need a "team" concept to get the price you would like.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@craig44 said:

I think the sheer volume of collectors is done a little due to the economic conditions for many. They want the cards but just aren't in a position to buy them. I just got a record sell for 1969 SGC 8.5. Sold for $5 less than a PSA 9. Buy it now. The pics that SGC provides to list the cards are awesome.

• Options

@olb31 I agree, there are multiple factors. There are less "investors" and "speculators" now that covid is over. I also think many new old collectors entered the scene during covid due to boredom. now that they can get out and around again the hobby is on the backburner again. and, like you said, the economy and inflation are huge factors.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I follow that 250 closely, love the card and have multiples but will add a 9 soon. One thing - Canadas economy is in a different spot then the US. Massive debt bubble, and our mortgages renew every 5 years. So these interest rate hikes are seeing mortgage payments double, similar to the ARM fiasco of 2008 in the US. Folks are tapped out.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I follow that 250 closely, love the card and have multiples but will add a 9 soon. One thing - Canadas economy is in a different spot then the US. Massive debt bubble, and our mortgages renew every 5 years. So these interest rate hikes are seeing mortgage payments double, similar to the ARM fiasco of 2008 in the US. Folks are tapped out.

Interesting and sad. Did not know.

• Options

If fun money budgets are hurting for anyone who wants to keep collecting then consider quickly dumping anything of value you don't want in your PC (unless you have a strong reason to believe an event will cause a spike) to get some value for it. If we head to a slight recession for a long duration, or the card industry alone keeps regressing, then you'll be stuck with items you personally don't care about that very few may have interest in when the supply goes sky high.

On the flip side...look to add to your PC and grab some investments while you're at it. I sense that after we hit the floor then a tiny climb of key card values will spark life again and it will be game on again....just with a reset in prices. Just my current opinion and advice.

• Options

Sellers have been listing overinflated BIN for quite sometime. In a lot of cases they are 5-10 times market price. Plus crazy shipping rates. I just laugh.

I won’t do auctions on commons anymore. They aren’t worth my time.

Prior to this year, I bought most of my cards from the U.S. I’ve stopped since a majority are using eBay international shipping. No way in hell I’m paying $15+ for each card. This is probably accelerating the market downfall. Which is great for me.

I’ve already purchased over 40 graded cards in the first two weeks of 2024.

Even if the prices don’t drop quickly, I can keep myself busy by grading my raw cards.

I love it when a plan comes together….

• Options

For the main cards you are probably ok, Mantle, Ryan, Jordan. But for a 1977 Rod Carew Psa 9 or 1975 Robin yount psa 8, etc. really good cards but not A+++, those cards are going to have a hard time hanging on to value.

I heard yesterday on the radio, that a large number (they said the number but I don't remember exactly what they said, but is was decently higher number then I would have thought) of people pay 50% of their income to their rent and utilities. (i wanna say it was around 33%).

• Options

@olb31 said:
    I heard yesterday on the radio, that a large number (they said the number but I don't remember exactly what they said, but is was decently higher number then I would have thought) of people pay 50% of their income to their rent and utilities. (i wanna say it was around 33%).

I can believe it. We went from almost 90% (house broke) for 13 years. This is actually part of the reason we are doing well now. House prices shot up after the derecho hit Cedar Rapids, IA and 85% of houses came off the market and we got 20% more than the house was worth.

Now we live in the country, I installed a wood boiler for heat, and we grow/hunt over 80% of our food for a family of 4 (about to be just my wife and I this fall).

I wouldn't have been back into cards if luck didn't blow our way with the derecho. We were really fortunate between insurance payouts and the house spike. Plus more people have moved into Iowa than left in the last 5 years. Guess people are more willing to deal with snow for the cheap prices of land. Or maybe they're trading immigration and homeless issues for the meth issues in our state. Farmers pretending their anhydrous was stolen...some farmers are insanely wealthy off 1/10 of the land than they ought to be.

If you were going to add some Clementes to your PC then would you act soon or wait and see a little longer?

• Options

@olb31 said:
    For the main cards you are probably ok, Mantle, Ryan, Jordan. But for a 1977 Rod Carew Psa 9 or 1975 Robin yount psa 8, etc. really good cards but not A+++, those cards are going to have a hard time hanging on to value.

Spot on commentary which is why most incumbents should be voted out of office. The great thing about sports is when a team finishes near the bottom for a couple of seasons the coach is fired. Sometimes the general manager. In politics an officer holder keeps winning as the brain dead keep voting for the same party regardless of results.

A perfect example is my home state of California. Newsom was the major of San Francisco. Under his watch the homeless population exploded, the city became filthy - Garbage and feces everywhere. He passed laws that increased taxes and regulations. He proposed a sanctuary city and ample large corporations left the city because of high crime and taxes.

Was he voted out of office? Of course not. He became governor and is now destroying our once great state. His reward for this will be to get the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 2028. Pure insanity. The reason why we have corrupt incompetent leaders is because most voters are buffoons and won't admit they voted for the wrong person.

When you see your card collection go down in value remember this when you vote again. Elections matter.

• Options

clementes will always be solid. be choosy and get the most centered ones you can. great stories guys.