Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Graded my 1793 Chain Cent, but they sent it back dirtier than how they recieved it

uncommoncentscoinsuncommoncentscoins Posts: 1
edited January 18, 2024 1:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Good day, all.

I sent PCGS a 1793 Chain Cent S-1 last December. A few days ago I finally got it back. I was initially pleased with the grade of FR02, but upon closer inspection, I noticed that there were various particles of stuff that I didn't recall being there. Upon reviewing the images that I took before sending it off to PCGS, I was able to confirm that the foreign material that I was seeing was not on the coin when I sent it out to PCGS. Keep in mind, that right after I took these images. I put the chain cent into the 2.5x2.5 mylar flip that PCGS requires and then it was packaged up and shipped off all within an hour of taking those pictures. My pictures showed the condition of the coin, to the best of my ability right before getting sent off to get graded. My question is, How do I go about getting PCGS to help fix this situation? I'm pleased with the grade, but I'm not so pleased that the coin was received in a different condition than it was shipped out in.

I've gone ahead and circled all the big noticeable particles in red.

Edit.
Added an Obverse picture and forgot to mention that I have tried reaching out to PCGS support, but I've yet to receive a response from them.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2024 1:39PM

Odd. Contact customer support ... they'll fix this.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Looks like dandruff. Next time you send in coins, request that they all wear hair nets. ;)

Very disappointing as well as concerning

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

That large piece of debris at 6 o'clock below the chain looks like a piece of plastic debris from the slab shell. What you are seeing is probably inert and harmless and many collectors wouldn't worry about it but if it bothers you, reach out to PCGS and give them a chance to fix it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this happen on a 2019-W ERP Silver Eagle. Exactly that same sort of small white debris but on a proof coin it was much more visible. I had to send it back as a "mechanical error" or something like that and they took care of it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

This last couple of weeks they have been taking about a week to respond to my emails....if you are not in a rush they will get back to you. I had a different scenario but I took detailed photos like you and sent them through email with a long clear explanation of the issue.

They made things right and after some back and forth they even provided a fedex label and put it through the express service for review. Took about 3 weeks but I everything was fixed, new slab and done.

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    That large piece of debris at 6 o'clock below the chain looks like a piece of plastic debris from the slab shell. What you are seeing is probably inert and harmless and many collectors wouldn't worry about it but if it bothers you, reach out to PCGS and give them a chance to fix it.

I am confident PCGS will wipe the debris off with a horsehair brush and re-holder your chain at no cost to you. Easiest would be to bring it to a show they are attending.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 5:57AM

That's a great old chain cent. What's the story?

Trade $'s
  • Options

@rays said:

@PerryHall said:

I am confident PCGS will wipe the debris off with a horsehair brush and re-holder your chain at no cost to you. Easiest would be to bring it to a show they are attending.

They'll probably blow it off with compressed air.

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

I had a Lincoln Cent come back which looked like a piece of potato chip on the surface of the coin. Sent it back, item removed, stain from item still on the coin.

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@rays said:

@PerryHall said:

They'll probably blow it off with compressed air.

That should have been done before sealing the slab...

• Options

I feel your pain. I also see you are a first time poster. What a way to break the ice in your first post.

I took care of the problem rather than "rag" all over the TPGS. When the same thing happened to me, the TPGS fixed it. I got a call from customer service who connected me with one of the graders who apologized and said it is a reoccuring and very difficult problem to fix because most copper cents have become sticky over time. He said many of them come right out of the owner's flip with those tiny white specks. They do not blow off in the slabbing room either. He also admitted (after I asked) that their quality control guys end up sending an average of twenty copper coins a week back for conservation and reholdering before they are shipped because of specks like yous. Perfection is a high bar. I have a few slabs with the coins slightly rotated. That does not bother me as much as the white specks. Good luck.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

They gave you eight clean spots.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering what the response is gonna be (they should fix it for you) 🤔

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Hall once mentioned here they did in fact blow off all coins with compressed air prior to sealing. That was many years ago however and who knows what their process is now?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slabbing Machine has to collect quite a bit of plastic dandruff form the numbers run though them. I am surprised it isn’t more common

• Options

@Crypto said:
    The slabbing Machine has to collect quite a bit of plastic dandruff form the numbers run though them. I am surprised it isn’t more common

I'm sure the coin and slab are fully hand assembled before it's put into the sealing device.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:
    David Hall once mentioned here they did in fact blow off all coins with compressed air prior to sealing. That was many years ago however and who knows what their process is now?

If i had to guess, I would say they use it at their discretion. I'll ask a grader and report back.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

Compressed air could be risky. Claen dry Nitrogen might be a better choice. If these flecks of debris were plastic I would think they would fall away if the slab were tapped against something hard.

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

I bought this coin yesterday on eBay. The dandruff culprit strikes again.

Also, the TrueView color is off. These slabbed images are from the seller's listing:

I only paid $250, so sending it in to get re-imaged may or may not be a solution.

Matt Snebold

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Crypto said:

I'm sure the coin and slab are fully hand assembled before it's put into the sealing device.

Yah but then it has to go in right, a little giggle or slip or just shatter dust from the unboxing /hand assembling area. Handling that much ridged plastic is bound to produce epic amounts of micro particles.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Looks like dandruff. Next time you send in coins, request that they all wear hair nets. ;)

Aside from the big one at the bottom that does look plastic-y … dandruff came to my mind, too … along with a sneeze …

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file