Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

yesterday's grading results, interesting..

olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 18, 2024 12:55PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the historical? Without that context hard to say if its a reporting issue, holiday driven, etc.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok I just looked, that is an outlier, they graded 62k cards yesterday lol

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

$15 a card. No upcharge. cards back in hand in 2 weeks. well respected in the community. SGC might not pull a better value than PSA at this moment but there is a lot to like about SGC and I can definitely see a point in time where an SGC 9 sells for the same as a PSA 9.

• Options

yeah the PSA is for 2 days ago. Seemed low. SGC seems strong and Beckett seems to be tailing off some. I'n guessing Beckett is staying intentionally small workforce wise. But 65 days to get them back to you sounds ridiculous. I like all three Beckett, PSA and SGC. Hope all three keep doing well.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    $15 a card. No upcharge. cards back in hand in 2 weeks. well respected in the community. SGC might not pull a better value than PSA at this moment but there is a lot to like about SGC and I can definitely see a point in time where an SGC 9 sells for the same as a PSA 9.

Let's see how long the 10 days grading goes. With the uptick, I bet it goes to 15-20 soon. But better than 65 days.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:

I'd guess it will take a long time for the 9s to sell at the same $ amount, and PSA would have plenty of time to course correct for things that piss off collectors to avoid that.

On the other hand it's a whole lot harder to build/keep a good reputation than to get a bad one. Once that snowball starts rolling towards a bad rep it's really really hard to slow it down.

• Options

PSA is the brand. No doubt. SGC, at least for vintage should be ok, they always have been decent. Beckett and PSA for newer. WIth SGC gaining a little here and there. But the top 3 card sells of all-time are in SGC holders, so that means something.

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    PSA is the brand. No doubt. SGC, at least for vintage should be ok, they always have been decent. Beckett and PSA for newer. WIth SGC gaining a little here and there. But the top 3 card sells of all-time are in SGC holders, so that means something.

PSA was once the Rolls Royce. It’s becoming a BMW. Still nice though.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

I won’t say all SGC cards sell for the same as PSA but the gap
    Is closing

• Options

@Hidhoe said:

@olb31 said:

PSA was once the Rolls Royce. It’s becoming a BMW. Still nice though.

I like your analogy. The BMW part is spot on...most car enthusiasts would rather have an older BMW rather than the stuff produced today and many people seem to prefer the grading days pre covid than now.

Most cars on the car lots today are less about the driving experience and more about the creature features.

Cards are less about the best grading and more about marketing the coolest cards in your holders such as the Triple Logo cards.

I never see advertisements or stories talking about how spot on the grading of any particular card is. Absolutely no discussion from sellers, auction houses, or the grading companies. You hear about major collections or big cards up for auction but how often do you hear about how well of a job the grading experience was and how accurate the grade is?

• Options

I would think the best way to grade a card is to simply view it. What I mean is instead of getting into the weeds about every nook and cranny, just view it and see how appealing it looks. It's kind of like instant replay. If you have to watch it in super slo-mo 50 times to try to reverse the call, the original call should stand. If it looks like an 8 and upon a 15 second analysis nothing stands out, then give it an 8. if you have to look at it for 5 minutes and go over it many times, then the grade should stand at 8.