Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1732 Milled coinage of Mexico Brad Yonaka estimates of survival

I would like to get input from you long term collectors based on what you have seen come up for auction over the years or decades on these coins. Does Brad have it about right on possible existing coin estimates for each denomination?

Comments

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad Yonaka doesn’t give estimates.

He doesn’t give estimates, he doesn’t claim to know how many exist, never, not in any of his books have I seen this. He only states what he’s observed…this may or may not translate into real world numbers or percentages. It might give you an idea on relative rarity, that’s about it.

Don’t run your collecting based on those numbers.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:
    Brad Yonaka doesn’t give estimates.

He doesn’t give estimates, he doesn’t claim to know how many exist, never, not in any of his books have I seen this. He only states what he’s observed…this may or may not translate into real world numbers or percentages. It might give you an idea on relative rarity, that’s about it.

Don’t run your collecting based on those numbers.

Correct, and to a collector like me, it's not particularly meaningful because we don't know how many "decent" or "high" quality examples are included in the total. I assume he included one of the better or best examples he saw as the plate coin but don't actually know it.

Some of the date/MM combinations with a higher number in his data are difficult or rare to find "nice" or "high quality". We've discussed the 1753 2R before as an example.

The 1753 2R is not hard to find as "dreck". Finding a nice one is something else entirely.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw one at the NYINC

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    I saw one at the NYINC

What denomination?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@bidask said:
    I saw one at the NYINC

What denomination?

8 reales

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2024 7:56PM

Yeah, I’ve had troubles with the 1753 2R. 1752 also, but who’s counting.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think will ever end up buying a 1732 Real/Reales.

Guess the closest can be a 1733 1R in VG condition - Would worth buying it?

Thanks.

edited January 18, 2024 10:16AM

@ELuis said:
    I do not think will ever end up buying a 1732 Real/Reales.

Guess the closest can be a 1733 1R in VG condition - Would worth buying it?

Thanks.

Of course any 1733 is a great coin to own in any grade. I have own a 1733 1 real Mexico milled in my collection it is graded by NGC and it is a low grade but since this collection is my main focus I will be upgrading mine at some point. There seems to be about 1 or 2 that come up for sale in a 12 month period but so far all have been lower than mine as they graded authentic.

In VG I would expect to pay 500$-700$. That would be for the most common variety since there are 9 varieties known of the 1733 Mexican milled coin.

I would offer you mine once I find a better example but mine is not even VG and it still cost me 375$. It looks nice for the low grade I am actually pretty happy with it vs the images the seller had. Mine is the lowest numerical graded by NGC at POOR-02. NGC has only graded 9 numerically of the variation I own. The rarer variations seem to almost never show up for sale.

@PillarDollarCollector Thank you. I do not have a series that I say I collect.

The coin is this one, but those lines guess that will end up as details for the light scratches or marks.

edited January 18, 2024 11:25AM

Euis> @ELuis said:

@PillarDollarCollector Thank you. I do not have a series that I say I collect.

The coin is this one, but those lines guess that will end up as details for the light scratches or marks.

Do you own that coin? If so be proud of it very few 1733's still exist except for the 8 reales. There is only 1 single 1733 graded as VG of the common variety and it is likely in a long term collection as are most of them it seems.

Can you show the reverse?

In my opinion better to own a coin you like and then upgrade at a later date than just sitting by and waiting for that perfect one that may or may not ever show up for sale.

edited January 19, 2024 10:04AM

@ELuis said:

That is a great coin to own it is the M1-33e and considered uncommon by Yonaka. I own the common variety the MX MF M1-33d. Be proud to have that coin I would!!! NGC has only graded 2 numerical and 5 authentic of this variety and the 2 are VF's. I imagine in VF to replace yours would be at least 1000$ or more.

edited January 22, 2024 8:59AM

ELuis based on the PM's you sent me:

Sorry you did not get the 1733 1 real Mexico ELuis the company should have taken it off their website when it sold to another buyer (at some point in time). Bad business on their part.

There will be other opportunities as mentioned I see 1-2 1733's milled from Mexico come up per year. Check Stacks regularly they had one not long ago but holed of the same variety I own. Ebay seems to not have almost any 1733's for sale of any denomination but it does happen since that is were I purchased mine. HA seems to have a lot more 8 reales than any other denominations for sale but again they may have one at some point in the future.

Keep your head up their will be other chances.

@PillarDollarCollector Thank you.
    Not good, just checked that this is the third time something like this happens to me on different web sites.

I am putting a note to me: Ask them first to check if the coin is available in their inventory, before adding it to the cart.

To add some more comments on that last buy where the 1733 1R was not avail.

The buy was on JAN.19.2024 - They returned the difference and I asked to send me the other coin a 1762/1 JM 1/2R LIMA
    There was no tracking number for my package, asked today JAN.26.2024 since I want it to give some more time to them, they just said that I will get a Tracking Number on Monday... I hope to end up getting the coin. Not a good service for sure, so it is deleted from my list of places that I look for coins to buy.

@ELuis said:
    To add some more comments on that last buy where the 1733 1R was not avail.

The buy was on JAN.19.2024 - They returned the difference and I asked to send me the other coin a 1762/1 JM 1/2R LIMA
    There was no tracking number for my package, asked today JAN.26.2024 since I want it to give some more time to them, they just said that I will get a Tracking Number on Monday... I hope to end up getting the coin. Not a good service for sure, so it is deleted from my list of places that I look for coins to buy.

Maybe out the company so members here know to maybe not deal with them.