Home U.S. Coin Forum

1969-D Quarter Type D RDV-004 2 Different MM New Discovery

Hi, to day looking close for the very scarce Type D 1969D, I find the second one in my PCGS slab, but with the RPM FS-501.

My conclusion come to say after I analyze also some PCGS photos for RPM FS-501 that the RPM observe run on two different Reverse Die Type D and Type E which it is very common.

The ANACS slab show you the only one coin at this time certified.

I think I will contact Tanner if do not come to see this post to update on the site that this RPM could be find with Type D reverse.

Is damage that I can not see all 115 RPM's 501 to have an Idea of rarity. I consulted 9 photos from PCGS and the three I have so from 12 coins I find only two coins with this Type D and the rest the common Type E. I think this combination could be rare to very rare.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2024 6:27PM

WOW, there were 5 different reverse dies used on 1969-D's. It seems the RDV-008 is the rarest (at least from the info I see at varietyvista)

varietyvista.com/09b%20WQ%20Vol%202/Reverse%20Design%20Varieties.htm

• silviosisilviosi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Also the RDV-006 it is rare follow by RDV-004 very scarce and the RDV-007 Scarce. Wiles know about the rarity of those varieties because in 2003 at ANA in Baltimore him presented this also. Me I trouve very rare the combination of the Observe RPM 501 and Reverse Type D RDV-004.

Hope Art or Clad will come to comment if they knowed before.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help much on these because I never was really able to distinguish one from another back in the day. I set a few aside but they're still stashed somewhere in a safety deposit box. One thing for sure though, anything (almost any modern) that wasn't in a mint set is extremely scarce or rare in VF or better. There were very few collectors and most were probably like me and didn't pay that much attention to most varieties.

I do check pocket change and circ rolls for these for the last 20 years but it's getting pretty uncommon to even see these early dates like the '69-D. I doubt I've seen 20 of them in the last 20 years and 2 or 3 in the last 5. They are all common varieties. Finding a 1966 to 1972 quarter in VF or better is very unusual now days. Most are heavily worn and 80% are culls.

Tempus fugit.
  • I cannot find 1969-d rdv-004 in a PCGS grade. Anyone?

• thecoinjunkiethecoinjunkie Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Are these the same as the type-H proof reverse on circulation strikes?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file